The Princess and the Pirate Chapter 1

The pale moon shone a bright light casting an eerie mist above the open sea as Princess Anna Gondor placed her hands among the railing and stared out at the dark blanket covering the sky. The wind blew through her blue dress and lifted her dark hair up. The silent sea was haunting as it stared back at her with pity. A week from now, she would be delivered to her betrothed, a man she had never met. She had dreaded this moment since she was mature enough to understand her position in life. Her father had decided the groom fit her for and he came with a fancy title and a mansion large enough to fit an army of a hundred. Everyone would be happy; her father, the businessman who wanted nothing more than a man who would be able to run his businesses after he died; her mother, the soft spoken woman, who wanted a man who was rich enough to take care of her; her betrothed, the Baron Charles De Hutch. She had no idea if he was old or young; handsome or ugly. All she knew was that he was waiting for her to arrive and the wedding would take place shortly after.
            Anna shut her eyes when the words “wedding night” came into her mind. She dreaded the wedding night. It was the one thing she feared the most. All of her life, she had hoped that she would find someone to fit her life before her father made his decision. But sadly, all the men from her town were either married or too old. She was an outsider to her own village and the man her father found for her was across the sea. In fact, she was sure that her father purposely did this so that she would have no means of escape. Before she was sailed off, her father had put two extra guards outside her door and two extra guards outside the gates.
            Now she was sailing towards an unknown world where a man would claim her. She would have to perform her wifely duties at night and give him sons. She felt tears enter her eyes and she felt her heart slam against her chest. Would she never know love? Would she spend her entire life following a man who might spend his nights wrapped in a mistress’ arms? She tightened her grip on the railing and the calling sea tempted her. It was calling for her to jump in and escape her nightmare.
            “Milady, please step away from the railing,” Captain Ray Norwood said behind her.
            She turned around and met the captain’s gaze. He was holding out his hand to her and she could tell he was frightened. He had read her thoughts and he knew she might fulfill them. She continued to stare without moving as she glanced at him. Captain Ray Norwood was a tall man with broad shoulders, a full black beard, piercing blue eyes, and he was tanned from his life at sea. Her betrothed had sent Captain Norwood, one of his best men, to deliver her to him. It seemed no matter what she chose, she was doomed.
            “Milady,” he said again.
            She stood her ground. “What would you do, Captain, if I were to jump?”
            “I’d swim out and get you. But I’d rather hope you would save us both the trouble.”
            “What would your Baron do if he knew you couldn’t deliver me?”
            He laughed. “Milady, you’re not very familiar with me, are you? When I’ve been assigned an assignment, I deliver. There has never been trouble for me. I don’t want to hurt you, milady. But if you don’t come down on your own, I’ll be forced to get you. You might not like that.”
            She swallowed and turned to stare at the dark waters again.
            “Death is no peace,” he said.
            She swung her head around. “Death would be better than this marriage. But you’re a man; I doubt you’d understand.”
            He didn’t answer her.
            “You were born a man and you have choices. I’ve been born a daughter and I have no rights. I’m to do whatever my father wants of me. Have you ever wondered how tragic that is?”
            He shook his head. “No, milady, I have not.”
            “Tell me, Captain Norwood, have you ever been in love?”
            He smiled and it relaxed her a bit. “Love? My greatest love is the open sea. She calls to me when I’m lonely and answers me when I need her. She’s all I need.”
            “And at night? Do you men not seek pleasure?”
            He took a step toward her. “Pleasure is not what all men want in life, milady. Most men like the call of the sea and the open adventure. I’ll admit it gets a tad bit lonely. But that’s the price you pay.”
            She looked at his outreached hand and placed her hand in his. He helped her down and once she was on the floorboard of the ship, he took a step back from her. Anna cocked her head and stared at the eyes that stared back at her and she was full of curiosity. They had been sailing for three days and tonight was the most he’d spoken to her. He had ordered her to remain in her cabin and he only let her out during the night when the crew was sleeping.
            “Captain, can you tell me about your Baron?” she asked.
            “What would you like to know?”
            She shrugged. “Everything you can share with me.”
            Smiling, he replied, “I can’t share everything with you. It wouldn’t be fair, would it, milady? Most of who he is, I think it would be better, if he told you himself. He’s a good man, if that’s what you’re worrying about. He’s a good man with a good heart.”
            “Will he love me?”
            “He’d be a fool not to, milady. If I were to be handed a wife as beautiful as you, I’d treasure her forever. But then again, I’m not so lucky.”
            She didn’t answer him.
            “A storm is coming. Return to your cabin.”
            Anna knew it was an order and she quickly went to her cabin. She closed and locked the door just as she heard thunder outside. When the rain started pattering against the window, she stood and watched the water trickle down the windowpane. She felt exactly like the rain; destroyed. She knew that she had no other fate in her life, but the journey she was on was one that she hoped would take forever to reach.
            She walked to light a candle as she heard a knocking on the door. She unlocked the door and found her maid, Maddy Cullenger, standing there dressed in her white nightgown. She entered and closed the door as Anna walked to sit on the bed. Maddy had been her maid since birth and was an older woman who loved her more than her own mother. Maddy walked to the chest and pulled out Anna’s nightgown as Anna stood up and started unbuttoning her dress.
            “What were you doing out there, child?” Maddy asked.
            Anna slipped the gown off of her and laid it on the bed. She looked up as Maddy slipped the nightgown over her head. “I was admiring the water.”
            Maddy scoffed as she took the blue gown Anna had laid on the bed. She began to fold it and placed it back into the chest. “You’ll be wise to avoid the deck, milady. The men here haven’t seen a woman in months. They might harm you.”
            Anna sat on the bed as Maddy grabbed a comb and walked to sit down behind her. She sat as Maddy began combing her long strands. “Maddy, what will happen if the Baron turns out to be an old man? How shall I live forever with him?”
            “You will learn how to, my dear. You’ve been selected as his wife. You must fulfill your duties.”
            Anna looked at her hands and then she suddenly felt very sad. “And if I were to remain an unhappy woman? What then?”
            Maddy stopped brushing and turned her around. “Milady, you must stop these awful thoughts of yours. You’ll find the Baron to be a nice man. I’ve heard that he’s a very gentle man. He’ll love you because of your beauty and your wit.”
            Anna lowered her gaze and felt tears enter her eyes. “Beauty has nothing to do with this, Maddy. I’m tired of being beautiful.”
            Maddy lifted her chin up. “Darling, you must understand that this is a great gift for you. The Baron is a very wealthy man. You’ll never have to worry or readjust your life. He can provide for you, buy you the richest of silks, and take you to exotic lands. I promise you that you’ll be happy.”
            “How can you promise me happiness? I’m not even sure I’ll love him.”
            “Love will come later.”
            “And if it doesn’t?”
            Maddy sighed. “Anna, when will you stop this nonsense?”
            She shook her head. “I’ll never forgive my father for sending me away. I’ll never forgive my mother for not stopping him. I dread the wedding night.”
            Maddy took her hands. “Your wedding night will happen and you must face it. A wife’s duty is to her husband and if you want to bear him sons, you’ll have to do your duties. Every woman is required to perform it.”
            “What if he is rough? What if he doesn’t want me? What if it hurts? What do I do then?”
            Maddy laughed. “My pet, you worry too much. When the time comes, everything will work out perfectly. Don’t you worry. Come, let me finish combing your hair so you can get some rest. You’ll need it if you are to meet your betrothed in good condition.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab