The Luck Charm Chapter 9


The morning sun spilled into the kitchen as Anna cut up the fruits to put on the plate for Rose. Dressed in black pants and a red blouse, she felt renewed and at peace. For the first time in a long time, she slept peacefully without worry. Her father was coming by to visit today and she was excited to see him. She placed the plate on the table and turned around to find Jedidiah coming toward her wearing jeans and a t-shirt that made him look boyish. She loved the suits on him, but this look was one that made her heart melt. He smiled and walked to her, touching her shoulder with his fingers.

     “How did you sleep?” he asked.

     “Good. And you?”

     He leaned in close to her ear and whispered, “It would have been great if I had woken with you next to me.”

     She blushed and pushed him away. “It’s too early for this kind of conversation. Why don’t you go see if your grandma is ready to come down?”

     Smiling, he walked upstairs and she continued setting the table. The doorbell rang and she assumed it was her father. She walked to open it and Vivi walked in without saying hello to her. She was about to close the door when her father shouted her name. With a smile on her face, she rushed to hug him. He looked healthy and handsome in a green button down shirt and black pants.

     “You look great!” she said.

     He smiled and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “I feel great.”

     They walked inside the house just as Rose and Jedidiah came down the stairs. After introduction, Anna led her father to the table where breakfast was set. Vivi walked in from the kitchen and a smile spread over her face when she saw Jedidiah. She rushed over, her red skirt swishing from being tight around her hips. She put her arms around him and laid her head on his shoulder.

     “Jedidiah, you left me so early last night. I missed you,” she cooed.

     Anna looked away and settled into the chair beside her father. Rose cleared her throat and Vivi turned toward her, a smile on her pretty face.

     “Vivi, why don’t you sit down and have breakfast with us?” Rose asked.

     “I would love to!” she said and sat down.

     Jedidiah sat down beside her and looked up at Anna, which she ignored. They ate breakfast while chatting about the weather, work, and her father sharing his stories of his childhood with Rose. Anna ate in silence, knowing Jedidiah was watching her. She ignored him because Vivi was gazing at him with her eyes full of lust. After breakfast, she helped Judy with the dishes and then walked her father to his car.

     “What do you have planned for next weekend?” he asked.

     She thought and shrugged. “I don’t think I have anything planned.”

     “Good, I’d like you to come home for a visit. I want you to meet someone.”

     She paused and then turned toward him. “Meet someone?”

     He nodded. “It was luck, really. I was stuck in the produce aisle looking for something fresh to make for dinner and there she was. She was just…a breath of fresh air.”

     Anna smiled; her heart singing. “Oh, dad! I’m so happy for you.”

     He smiled and blushed. “I’m a bit nervous at my age to start something new. But I like the company. It’s not so lonely.”

     “No, don’t feel bad for wanting some company. I’m sure that mom wouldn’t want you to be alone. I’m so happy for you. I’ll be there next weekend to meet her. I’m looking forward to it. What’s her name?”

     “Cindy, her name is Cindy.”

 

     Anna closed the front door and walked upstairs to find Rose sitting in her chair looking through some photos. She smiled and walked to the medicine cabinet where she grabbed the medicine. She returned and handed it to Rose who took it. She took out the blood pressure cuff and took down her numbers.

     “Your numbers are good today. How are you feeling?” Anna asked.

     “I feel fine.”

     “Your appointment with Dr. Chang is tomorrow.”

     “What time?”

     “Ten in the morning.”

     Rose nodded and then she smiled. “You’ve done an excellent job in keeping me healthy. Thank you so much.”

     Anna knelt down before her and smiled. “It’s my job, Rose. No need to thank me.”

     She sighed and leaned back in her chair, pushing the photo album away. “I’m worried about how Jedidiah will handle things if I pass.”

     “He’s learning. I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

     She reached over and took Anna’s hand. “I noticed that he’s taken quite a new character. Thank you for helping him realize it. I know that it must be hard for you, but you have great strength in maintaining hope for him.”

     “And what about Vivi?” Anna asked.

     Rose laughed. “Vivi is a little girl, I’m afraid. She won’t make him do anything but get annoyed. Go down and save him. I think he’s probably wondering where you are. I could see him trying to catch your attention all morning long.”

     Anna lowered her eyes. “I don’t think that’s what he was doing.”

     Rose lifted her chin up. “Anna, I’m much older than you are. I know a lot more than you do. I know when my grandson wants something. The look he kept feeding you was pure lust. I am not mistaken. I think Jedidiah is in love with you.”

     “What?”

     “I want you to take this time to consider your feelings for him. Please think from your heart and look past your history together. Jedidiah can be ignorant at times, but when he’s truly into something or someone, he doesn’t give up easily. He’ll fight for what he wants.”

     Anna smiled, touched. “I don’t doubt that for a moment.”

    

     “Why are you avoiding me?” Vivi asked as Jedidiah settled into the chair outside by the patio. The sun was shining and the air was breezy. The day would be wasted if it was spent inside. Jedidiah sighed deeply, a little annoyed that Anna hadn’t come to find him yet. He’d been trying to gain her attention all morning, but she’d avoided his gaze, by accident or on purpose, he couldn’t tell.

     He looked up at Vivi, at her red lips, her perfectly dolled up hair, and her gorgeous figure. Any man would die happy if they could have her on her his arm. But he just felt crowded next to the things she spoke. Where would he fit in?

     “I’m not avoiding you, Vivi. I’m simply not interested. There’s a big difference. The last time I had said all I needed to say. There’s not much else to say,” he said.

     She sighed and planted her hands on her hips. “I know you said you wanted a break. But I didn’t think you’d avoid me like I was a disease. My grandma is coming here tomorrow to spend some time with yours. I’ll be coming with.”

     “What for? You know what they’ll talk about. It’ll be boring.”

     Vivi rolled her eyes. “I was coming here for you, Jedidiah. Isn’t there a small part of you that still wants me around?”

     “Sure, I do, but not the way you want me to want you.”

     Vivi sat down and crossed her legs. “Who is that nurse? She’s pretty.”

     “If you say so.”

     Laughing, Vivi said, “You were checking her out all morning long. I’m sure she’s more than just pretty to you.”

     “So I find her attractive. Is that a crime? Since when can a man not look at a woman who is attractive?”

     She sat up, hurt. “I knew it! I knew you had feelings for her. Why? She’s works for your grandmother!”

     Jedidiah stood up. “It doesn’t matter if I fall in love with a garbage worker, Vivi. Status doesn’t matter to me. What matters is how that person treats me and makes me feel. I don’t want to live my life all high and mighty. One day, I just might fall, and when that happens, I’d hate to think how high I held myself. Everyone falls; it’s a matter of time. Excuse me.”

     Jedidiah left her sitting, awed and stunned, as he walked inside the house. It was empty. He opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water. As he rounded the corner to the den, he heard talking and he stopped. He walked to the living room and found the front door was open. When he neared it, he realized it was Anna and Thomas talking out front. He was leaning against his car and she was standing beside him, smiling. He felt his heart skip a beat as he watched her. She was happy, smiling like he’d never seen her before. She was beautiful, free, and peaceful in that moment. Thomas smiled, reached over, and touched her shoulder. Jedidiah felt his hands tighten around the bottle of water. It was an innocent gesture, really, but he felt as if Thomas had kissed her. He felt the power of jealousy hit him so hard, it almost knocked him off his feet. Why? They hadn’t really figured out what they meant to each other. True, he’d wanted her, and he still did. But did it mean that he loved her? Did it mean that he wanted her to return that love to him? And that smile, when she smiled, he felt the ache in his belly stir. It hurt and it also felt so good. He could hear Thomas laughing and when Anna leaned in closer to him, he found himself marching toward them.

     “Hi Thomas,” he said.

     Both looked at him and Anna’s smile faded. Thomas smiled and walked forward to shake his hand. But when Jedidiah shifted his eyes to Anna, he found the glitter gone from her eyes.

     “I was just passing through town and thought I’d stop by to visit Anna,” Thomas said.

     “You mean my grandmother?” Jedidiah asked.

     Thomas’ smile faded and he cleared his throat. “Well…I’ll be seeing your grandmother tomorrow, actually.”

     Jedidiah nodded as if he understood. Then he shifted his gaze to Anna and found her ignoring him. He returned his attention to Thomas. “Busy day at the clinic?”

     “It was alright. I’m not on call tonight.”

     “How nice.”

     “Anna,” Thomas said, turning to her. “Why don’t you get dressed? I’ll take you out tonight.”

     Anna smiled. “Oh, how nice. Sure, just give me a moment.”

     Before she could go, Jedidiah intercepted. “Vivi is here. Why don’t we make it a double?”

     “Perfect!” Thomas said as Anna’s face paled.

 

     Anna felt the eyes of Jedidiah staring at her as she tried to listen to Thomas talk about his day at work. She caught about every other word because she could feel Jedidiah’s heat on her. She smiled politely at Thomas and excused herself to use the restroom. She made it halfway before she was yanked from behind. She turned around to face Jedidiah’s heat.

     “Why are you ignoring me?” he asked.

     She laughed. “Are you crazy? I am here with Thomas and you brought Vivi with you. Why would I pay you any attention?”

     He swallowed and ran his hand through his hair. “That’s not what I meant.”

     “What did you mean?”

     He sighed, shook his head, and then shrugged. “I don’t know.”

     “Why don’t you go back to your date?”

     Anna hurried inside the bathroom and sighed as the door closed. She ran the water until it turned cold and stuck her hands underneath it. She took several deep breaths and shut her eyes. Jedidiah was right; she was avoiding him. Vivi was sitting particularly close to him tonight and try as she might, she couldn’t push the thought of them being together away from her mind. It bothered her the way how Vivi looked at him. Though she told herself numerous times she wasn’t in love with him, it made her blood boil seeing Vivi sitting that close to him. She leaned her head against the mirror and felt her body begin to shake. What was happening to her? She could control her feelings at all times. But tonight, seeing how things had turned out, she felt as if her body was a foreigner. She felt as if she was watching from the outside, seeing this for the first time. She was being betrayed and she couldn’t do a single thing about it. She was scared, afraid of what the moment would unfold if she held on. Would she have the strength to resist if something happened that led her down the road she was fearful of?

     When Anna returned to the table, Vivi and Thomas were laughing together and Jedidiah was nowhere in sight. She sat down and Thomas immediately put his arm around her shoulder.

     “You ok?” he asked.

     Nodding, she said, “Yes.”

     He smiled and then he leaned in closer to her ear. “I hope you’re having a good time.”

     She smiled. “I am.”

     Thomas moved closer to her and reached out to touch her arm. “I’m sorry, I’m a bit drunk.”

     “You don’t need to apologize.”

     He smiled, leaned in, and captured her lips for a quick kiss. When he drew back, Anna caught Jedidiah’s eyes on her. She sucked in a breath and turned away as he walked to sit down. His eyes were on Thomas. His eyes were blaring with anger, jealousy, and hurt. She swallowed down the guilt and smiled at Thomas, who was still staring at her, and she shielded her gaze with her lids.

     “Jedidiah, you look a little tired. You working hard at work these days?” Thomas asked as he leaned back in his seat.

     Jedidiah narrowed his gaze and picked up his glass of wine. “I’m close to wringing some necks.”

     Thomas laughed. “You are so ruthless when it comes to business.”

     “You have no idea.”

     Vivi moved closer to Jedidiah and laid her head on his shoulder. “That’s what I love about him. He’s all serious when it comes to business. He’s like a charmer in that room of investors. It’s amazing how much they’re willing to do or undo just by listening to a few words he says.”

     Jedidiha’s lips curved in a smile. “You got that right.”

     Anna looked at her watch and turned to Thomas. “Can you take me home now? I want to go check on Rose.”

     Nodding, Thomas replied, “Yes, I can do that. Let’s call it a night, shall we?”

 

     Anna closed the door to Rose’s bedroom after checking her vital signs. Thomas and Vivi had gone home after dropping her and Jedidiah off. She’d checked Rose immediately upon returning. She saw Jedidiah walk into his room a few moments ago. She thought about going in to talk to him, but went against it. As she walked to her room, she heard him moaning loudly in his room. Fearful of him having a nightmare, she rushed into his room. He was on the bed, sitting upright, wide awake, and staring at her with doe like eyes. She turned to go when he called out her name. She stopped and turned to face him.

     “You’re only here because you thought I was having a nightmare, right?” he asked.

     She looked away. “Jedidiah, what do you want?”

     He got off the bed and walked to her. “Is it that hard to figure out what I want? Do you know how hard it was for me to fight my feelings tonight? Do you know how much I wanted to wring Thomas’ neck for touching you? I bit the inside of my cheek until I tasted blood.”

     She swallowed hard. “Why would you do that? I’m just a nurse here to take care of your grandmother. I’m just a woman.”

     He chuckled. “Just a woman? Are you blind? The woman in you is the one thing that is driving me insane. You don’t know what you can do to me with one look.”

     Anna lifted her head and cleared her throat. “What do you want?”

     He closed the distance between them and put his hands on her waist. Then he pulled her close to him, leaning down until their foreheads met. He sighed deeply and breathed in deeply. She shivered when his fingers made their way down the sides of her hips and rested there.

     “I don’t know what this feeling is. It’s new and it’s something dangerous. I’ve never met it before, but I like it. I like how it makes me feel. It’s daring and it’s making me jump off the edge. I feel free. I feel as if I can do anything,” he said.

     Anna looked up at his eyes and swallowed. She could feel the heat resonating from his hands. She felt her heart pounding beneath her rib cage. When she stuck her tongue out to lick her dry lips, he captured her mouth and groaned inside her mouth. She gasped and turned away from his kiss, pushing him slightly away from her. He reached up to hold her close and she turned her back to him. He kept his distance for a split second then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her toward him.

     “What’s the matter?” he whispered.

     She inhaled a shaky breath. “I’m frightened of this.”

     He reached out and touched her cheek. “And you think I’m not? I’ve never felt this before. It’s like I’m walking on a tight rope. Each moment that I’m with you or near you, I feel as if I can’t breathe. It hurts when I see others with you.”

     Anna closed her eyes when his lips touched her cheek. “Jedidiah..,”

     “Yes, say my name, sweetheart. Say it like you want me.”

     Her eyes fluttered open and she gasped, pushing him away. “I can’t do this. I can’t.”

     “Why not?”

     She swallowed. “Because I can’t trust myself with you.”

Comments

  1. Hi Houa Lor, my name is Vincent :) Would you take me up on this offer: http://everydaychitter.com/partner_sign_ups

    We can help each other share traffics to our sites. Let's work as a team. Please let me know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab