Stolen Moments End


Bobby and Two Faced came back for them a little after midnight and they all rode home. Before going back home, Tom came clean that he was the one who killed Emily. She hardly broke a sweat when he mentioned that. For all she knew, Emily had done something to make him kill her. She was the one responsible for killing Yelena’s father, so she felt revenge had been served.

            On the ride back home, she rode behind Tom and kept both arms around his waist. She hadn’t had much time to think about what had really unfolded that evening. But she knew that things had changed. She knew now that her heart was in a place where only Tom could reach, but she wasn’t sure what was in his heart. Was it the same as hers? Could she trust him? He was after all, a rebel, who went with the wind. Could she allow him into her life, knowing that he may one day up and leave? Would she be able to pick up the pieces and continue if she were to wake up and find herself alone?

            Tears filled her eyes and she leaned into him, already knowing the answer. It would be the hardest decision for her to make because she would be giving him a part of herself. This part, he would take with him and she would never get it back. As much as she knew the risk, she knew she would give it because she was in love. There, she finally said it. She was in love with Tom Hardy, a man who ran with the wind. He caught her heart and held it in his hands. She knew that if he gave her what he truly wanted, she’d accept it without question. Did that mean she was desperate? She didn’t know what she was at the moment; she only knew that if he took her to his bed, she’d go.

            When they arrived at the house, all the lights were on and Nettie was sitting on the front porch. The first thing Yelena did was rush to hug her. The thought of her in danger had scared her to the core. After food and a bath, Yelena couldn’t stand the silence anymore and went in search of Tom. She found him sitting outside staring at the midnight sky. He had lit a fire beside him and she wasn’t sure if he welcomed her, but she took the chance. He heard her and turned to look at her.

            “You’re not sleeping?” he asked.

            She shook her head. “Can I join you?”

            He patted the space beside him. “Always.”

            She sat down and he pulled her close to him. “I was looking for you.”

            He sighed and swallowed. “I needed to think about everything.”

            She was silent.

            “I’ve been searching for answers since my mother died and now that I have them, I’m not sure I like them very much.”

            She ran her hand over his. “I’m sorry.”

            “I thought if I just knew the answers, it would solve everything in my life. But sometimes what you think before you know is different than after everything has been revealed. I’m trying to remember what really unfolded with my mother and I’m having trouble believing that things didn’t really happen the way I thought it did.”

            Yelena turned his face toward him. “Tom, don’t let what Edwin say change anything. What you know is the truth. He’s the one who hurt you and took everything away. He’ll try to make you alter your thoughts just because he can. Don’t let his words change anything about how you feel for your mother.”

            He smiled, touched. “You’re right.”

            “My father’s image was shifted too, but you know the truth is, I don’t believe anything anyone else says. Because I lived and grew up with him and I know that although they may have been hurt by what he didn’t do, I know for a fact that he loved me. That’s what is going to keep me from having second thoughts. He died and he died loving me. I’m sorry that he caused Emily pain, but it doesn’t make what she did forgivable”

            Tom leaned down and captured her lips. “You’re so good.”

            She gently pushed him away and looked up at him with heavily hooded eyes. “Tom, I need to know something.”

            “What is it?”

            She swallowed, forcing herself to say the words. “Do you love me?”

            He stared at her and then turned away. She took that as her answer and stood to go, but he stopped her. He caught her chin and tilted her face up to look at him. “Do you love me?”

            She let out a shaky breath and forced herself to grow the courage she needed. “Yes.”

            He smiled and ran his thumb over her lips. “I needed to hear that.”

            “But you haven’t answered me.”

            “Does it matter?”

            She thought it over and knew that it didn’t because she was willing to give him anything. “No.”

            “Liar.”

            Yelena looked up, surprised. “What?”

            He smiled. “You’re too good to not want me to love you first. You think I didn’t know all your thoughts on the ride home? I could hear you bickering inside that mind of yours. I couldn’t help, but smile.”

            She got up to go, but he pulled her back down, and held her against his arms. “You’re teasing me.”

            Laughing, Tom said, “No, that’s not teasing. This is teasing.” With that, he nibbled her ear and she was caught off guard at how good it felt. She felt herself turn to mush in his arms. When she let out a soft moan, he turned her around and caught her lips. He made love to her that way for a long time, pulling, biting, and tasting. When he was done, he pulled back and stared at her with eyes filled with lust. The fire made the look in his eyes glow and it tugged at her heart.

            “Tom, I’m…,” she whispered.

            He fingered her cheek. “Say it, lass. Say it.”

            “I want you.”

            He smiled. “Then you shall have me.”

 

            The fire in Yelena’s room was crackling loud as she lay on the bed, blankets twisted around her legs while Tom ran his fingers down the line of her hip. She was half asleep, half awake, feeling rested and peaceful after what they had shared. He’d made her body betray her in ways she never thought possible. He’d made her cry out words she never used. He’d made her cry softly in his arms when her body finally exploded. And now as they lay entwined together, he was caressing her softly, probably have the same erotic thoughts as she was.

            “You asked me if I loved you,” he whispered softly. “I said would it matter if I did or didn’t.”

            She was about to answer when she realized he thought she was sleeping. So she lowered her lids and kept her breath steady. He kissed her shoulder lightly and laid his head on the back of her spine.

            “I don’t know what love is. But if love is what I feel for you, then I do love you. This feeling of having to protect you is so powerful that it keeps me awake at night. The thought of losing you drives me into a corner wanting to cry. I know that you and I were thrown together in the beginning, but now that I’ve had you, once isn’t enough. You make me feel things long forgotten. You make me remember what being good felt like. Most of all, you make me want to be a better man.”

            She swallowed, letting the words sink in. She felt the warmth spread through her body and smiled. He pulled her closer to him and kissed her hair, inhaling her scent. She felt the tears well up in her eyes. But he wasn’t finished.

            “I’ve searched for a long time to find a woman who could make me feel what I used to before I went against the law. But the more I searched, the more I became disappointed. When I met you, you were just another woman who probably would disappoint me. But when I stole your first kiss, I felt something already kick in. I was too stubborn to figure it out then, but it followed me until I realized the woman I was searching for was you.

            “But how could I let you into my life when I ran with the wild? How could I let someone as innocent and pure as you become tainted with me? I wasn’t innocent and I sure as hell wasn’t wanted with the world. But the thought of another man taking you from me and making you his just couldn’t sit straight with me. And that moment when you were gone from me, it tore me apart until I felt I wasn’t able to glue myself back together until I found you. You were mine and if I had to cross through hell to get you again, I would. I wanted to touch your heart so deep that you wouldn’t be able to forget me.”

            Not being able to hold back anymore, Yelena turned around and faced him. The look of surprise was written on his face as he became silent. She reached up and touched his face gently.

            “Tom, I love you. I love you so much that I find myself wondering if I can love you more than this,” she whispered.

            He took her hand and kissed the palm. “You’re mine, Yelena. You’re mine and I’ll never let you go.”

 

            Tom knew they would be back and he was ready for them. He knew that he would have to face his brother one last time. He knew he had to get rid of him for good. So when Adam and Edwin showed up the following morning, he wasn’t surprised. He was prepared and he wasn’t going to go down without a fight. They were waiting for him when he walked outside, guns propped on their shoulders as if they owned the place. He stopped at the top of the stairs and stared at his brother, already feeling the anger and pity for him.

            “I’m here for your head,” Edwin said.

            Tom laughed. “Are you? Well, we’ll see who will be getting whose head.”

            “Why don’t you come down here and we’ll see?”

            Adam stepped forward. “Where’s Yelena?”

            Tom walked down the steps and crossed his arms. “Yelena isn’t here. I knew you’d be here.”

            “She belongs with me.”

            “Does she? As far as I know, she has the freedom to choose who she belongs with.”

            “She’s mine.”

            Tom narrowed his eyes. “I already made her mine.”

            Adam cocked his gun and pointed it at him. “I’ll enjoy killing you.”

            Edwin pushed his gun down and walked forward. “I don’t much care for her. What I want is for us to talk.”

            “Then talk.”

            “You know the truth now, there’s no need to hide anything. If you want me to go away, I will. But I’ll take half of your share with me. I’m your brother. The least you can do is give it to me.”

            Tom laughed. “You killed my mother. Why would I want to give you anything?”

            “If you’re smart, you will. Otherwise, you and I will battle to the death. I don’t fight fair, brother. I’m known to cheat my way.”

            “I wouldn’t doubt that at all.”

            Edwin sighed and extended his hand to the field. “Why don’t you show me what the last few years of chasing me has done to you? I want to see that you can be a man.”

            Before Tom could predict what was up his sleeve, Adam lunged forward and attacked him. The gun fell from his hand as Tom and Adam wrestled on the ground. He brought his hands up and grabbed Adam’s neck, squeezing until the other man’s eyes began to roll back in his head. He would have won, but Edwin stepped forward and jammed the butt of his gun into Tom’s face. His hands fell free and Adam fell over, coughing.

            Shaking his head, Edwin dropped the gun to the ground. “I told you I played dirty.”

            Tom stood up, blood running down his nose. He charged forward and grabbed him by the collar, throwing punches. Edwin allowed him to hit him until he felt exhausted. Edwin’s face was beaten to a bloody pulp and Tom shoved him away. He fell to the ground panting as Edwin slowly pushed himself up to a sitting position and smiled through bloody teeth.

            “You claim you’re not an animal like me, brother. Face it, you’re exactly like me. You’re s savage,” he said.

            “I’m nothing like you.”

            Edwin laughed and wiped the blood on the back of his hand. Tom stood up and walked to him, bending down. He grabbed his collar and pointed the gun to Edwin’s neck. “You killed my mother.”

            “I guess I did, didn’t I? But you know what? I saved you from a life of tragedy, really.”

            Tom shook his head. “What tragedy? The only tragic is you. You, who has no heart, and has to create pain for others. Did you stop to think what kind of life I could have had with my mother?”     

            “Yeah, I did, and I think you’d hate it, really. You’re a man now, Tom. I made you that.”

            “You never did anything except make me want to kill you.”

            “Then do it. It’ll make you manlier.”

             Tom heard the sound of the carriage and he knew it was Yelena. He knew Two Faced and Bobby couldn’t keep her away once she found out the truth. He turned and found her running toward him, worry written on her face. She stared at Edwin and then at Adam. She shook her head at him, her pretty face written in despair.

            “Tom, don’t do it. Let the law punish them,” she said.

            Tom swallowed hard and returned his gaze to Edwin, who was smiling. “He’s the law already, Yelena. He’s bought all the law. I can’t do that.”

            “If you kill him with your bare hands, it doesn’t make you any better than him. Think of your mother. Would she want you to do this?”

            Edwin laughed. “Ooh, she’s got a good a point, brother. Think of your mother.”

            Yelena walked a little closer and extended a shaking hand. “Tom, take my hand, please. Take my hand and we’ll figure out the rest together.”

            Tom stared at Edwin’s face and slowly let out a breath. Then he let go and stood up. As he walked toward Yelena, saw her smile, saw the love in her eyes, he felt the burden lifted from his shoulders. But then he saw her eyes shift toward Edwin’s direction, heard the cock of the gun, and he withdrew the dagger from his belt. He turned around just as Edwin pulled the trigger and at the same time, his dagger met Edwin’s flesh. He heard Yelena scream out his name as they both fell to the ground. He saw Edwin’s hollowed eyes staring at him as Edwin choked on his own blood.

            “Brother,” Edwin whispered as he let out a soft rattle before his eyes closed.

            “Tom!” Yelena cried as she ran to him.

            Tom pushed Edwin away and sat up, holding his left arm where the bullet had grazed him. She came to him and wrapped her arms around him, checking him for wounds. He kissed her tenderly and then turned around to find Adam getting back on his feet. He got up and pulled her to a standing position.

            “Go wait in the house,” he ordered.

            She did as was told and he waited until she was gone before he walked to Adam. Tom took him by the neck and pushed him against the wall. “You’ll be exposed for your dirty ways. Now that your sheriff is dead and gone, I’ll be the one to put you on trial for the public. Your deeds are done.”

 

            Wrapped in each other’s arms, Yelena and Tom lay on the grass looking up at the sky twinkling as the fire spat rhythms of passion before them. Tonight, everything was perfect. The governor had been exposed and charged with the crimes he’d committed. And Tom had hung up his guns for good. Yelena had never felt more at peace than she did now. A part of her wished her father could be here, but she knew that he was watching over her from wherever he was. She smiled and snuggled in closer to him.

            “What are you thinking about?” he asked.

            She giggled and looked up at him. “I’m thinking that perhaps I should start clearing out that old bedroom that Emily used to sleep in for a nursery.”

            He raised his eyebrows. “Nursery?”

            She blushed. “Well, with the way you work, you just never know.”

            He laughed and leaned in to bite her nose. “I want four.”

            “Four?!”

            “Four, two of each, and I hope they’re as beautiful as you.”

            She smiled. “I hope they’re as tough as you.”

            He tugged her closer for a kiss. “No matter what they turn out to be like, I just want them to come from you.”

            She giggled. “But I’m not even close to having them yet.”

            He lifted the blanket and exposed her. “Well, the night is still young.”
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab