Piquant Chapter 6

I finally worked up the courage to call my mother that evening. As I predicted, she wasn’t happy that she was the last one to know of the accident. She made sure her voice was heard. And the words she chose to say made me cringe and felt guilt at keeping it from her. By the time she was done lecturing, I felt exhausted.
     “Are you done?” I asked.
     “I’m just getting started!” she cried.
     “Can I just get one thing out of the way first? And you can go back to rambling.”
     “What?” she almost shouted. 
     “You’re going to be a grandma.” There was a long pause and then she laughed out loud. My heart leapt as I heard her start crying.
     “Oh my Lord! I’m beyond thrilled. Honey! Why didn’t you say something?”
     “You were talking for the past ten minutes!”
     “No, I wasn’t.”
     I rolled my eyes. “Mom, seriously.”
     I heard her laugh. “Oh my goodness! I’m going to be a grandma! I’m so happy I could just fly over there.”
     “That’s the other thing. With me being pregnant, the wedding has been pushed up to next month. You might just get to visit sooner than you thought.”
     “That’s fine. I want to see you anyways.”
     Just hearing my mother’s voice sent all of my emotions in place again. My heart felt better as if everything was going to be all right. Becoming a mother was scary. I wasn’t sure how it was that my own handled me by herself. My grandmother wasn’t alive when my mother got pregnant with me. I was an emotional mess. One moment I wanted to cry, the next I wanted to run my fingers up the wall. If becoming a mother was supposed to help me become grateful for my own, it was definitely working.
     Andrew hired a few etiquette experts to help me get into shape for public display. It wasn’t that he was embarrassed of me, but he wanted me to know what the rules were when it came to the world of royalty. Who the hell drank a tea cup with their pinky finger extended? Apparently, the royal blood of the Remingtons did. Learning to sit tall with my back straight, my chest out, and my shoulders squared made me ache as if I’d run a marathon. Each time I slouched or muttered, the women stared a time as if I had committed murder. The experts themselves were another thing to talk about. The oldest among them was named Danielle Rochester and she was as strict as a private school teacher ready to slap your hand. She had blond hair that she wore in a very tight bun and pale blue eyes. She wore a tight gray suit each day that she came and I imagined her suits were pressed, labeled, and hung in order of days she wore them. She never crossed her legs, but simply tucked one ankle behind the other. The one day I did cross my legs, she raised an eyebrow that made me drop my legs and blush. She was constantly staring at me to make sure I would make a mistake. She frightened me endlessly.
     The second, Ronnie Rogers, was a petite woman with brown curls and eyes like melted chocolate. She was soft spoken, kind, but obsessive about how things should be in a certain way. I labeled her as OCD. Like for example, she always made sure she buttoned her coat from left to right and the second button was always the last. Her shoes were taken off one by one and laid together with the soles pointing out. When she drank her tea, she turned the cup twice before twirling her spoon clockwise once and always checked the temperature of the tea by licking the spoon. Odd, yes.
     Last, Jan Helmster, was the plump joyous one who couldn’t stop smiling and laughing. In fact, her and Mrs. Potter became friends right away. She was a little older than Ronnie, but younger than Danielle. She smelled like mothballs and spice. Her frizzy blond hair was never tamed and her large blue eyes stared out at you like a fish in a bowl from behind her incredibly large spectacles. She never wore clothes that matched, like today, she had on a pair of gray pants and a hot pink sweater. But she had great advice and she was probably the only one who made any actual sense out of the three.
     “Today’s lesson is all about entering a room,” Danielle said as she stood up and walked to the entrance of the main room. “When you enter, the audience should be mesmerized by your entrance. The men will turn heads and the women will pout in envy. Your husband will want everyone to admire you so he may earn good political points. If you make a dreadful entrance, society will less than pleased with you and probably gossip you from the west to the east end. You will lose society status and never get any invitations to any social gatherings. In other words, you will become exiled.”
     I watched as she gracefully put her hands together and entered the room with her head held high, her shoulders back, and her neck elongated. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I watched her walk with poise across the room. She then turned and stared at me. After a moment, I realized she was waiting for me to repeat what she did. I walked to the front of the room and saw all three ladies eyeing me. Then suddenly the room blurred and I was out like a light. Not a very graceful entrance.
     When I came to, I was lying on the couch and Garrison was massaging my feet. The three women were gone and the house was quiet. I tried to sit up and he helped me. He reached for the glass of water and handed it to me. I took a gulp and handed it back where he set it on the table. His eyes had that of a concerned husband.
     “Well, I failed my first lesson, entering a room. We’re never going to be invited anywhere and we should probably just live as hermits,” I said.
     He laughed. “Forget what Danielle said. It’s what she’s paid to tell you. Not all society gatherings are like that.”
     “You mean no one really does watch as you enter the room and silently wonder if she’s going to trip on her feet?”
     He shrugged. “Well, maybe the women might if they’re jealous of how pretty you are. But the men will be dead if they even glance at you for a second.”
     I laughed and rubbed my head. “I’m sorry.”
     “No, I’m sorry. You’re exhausted. No wonder you blacked out. All these lessons and you’re pregnant. You shouldn’t be this stressed.”
     I saw his concern in his eyes and reached over to touch his face. “I’m fine. I’m stronger than I look.”
     “I worry no matter.”
     “I know. But I must be the woman society wants otherwise your name will be smeared. That I couldn’t bear, especially with a little Remington on the way. I want to be able to be a good wife to you in the public eye.”
     Sighing, he took my hand and kissed the sole gently. “I knew you were the most amazing thing on earth when I saw you the first time.”
     Touched, I smiled. “You are a believer of love at first sight?”
     Shaking his head, he replied, “Never. I never believed in love. Not at all. Witnessing my parents’ marriage was enough to make me not want to fall in love. I was deathly frightened of it. I saw how torn my father was after my mother left. He wasn’t the same. He lived, he ate, he breathed, but his eyes were soulless and it scared me. I didn’t want to be like that.
     “But then I met you and for the first time, I wanted to risk it all just to be with you. Your smile, your eyes, and most especially, your laugh gave me a sense of calm I never knew existed. I came from a broken home where all I knew was royalty, society, and status. But with you, you finally saw the real me, without the royal cloak, just the man. And you fell in love with me even before you knew I was royal.”
     I bit my lips. “How…how did you know I was in love with you before?”
     He kissed my fingers. “Because you whispered it in your dreams when we were together in Jamaica.”
     “I did? I don’t remember that.”
     “Of course not. But I do because I was watching you sleep.”
     “Why?”
     He smiled. “Why was I watching you sleep? Because I was afraid of the morning sun arriving and you leaving me. I wanted to savor the moment I had with you, even if it meant I didn’t get to sleep a wink. You were so peaceful and it was music to my heart. I wanted to memorize your breathing, your soft moans when you dreamt, and the way your lips seemed to invite me even in deep sleep. I wanted to drink it all in and lock it inside of me.”
     Tears filled my eyes and I moved closer to him, closing the distance between us. “Say that one more time.”
     Smiling, he reached for me. “I’ll say it as many times as you want as long as I get to wake up next to you for the rest of my days.”
     If love was a fairy tale, then I was living in one. Was it possible to love another human more than anything that existed on earth? It seemed so unreal to me that in a moment’s pause, I found real love and it welcomed me home to a place of comfort and safety. I had no worries and all I could do for the first time in my life was truly live. Garrison was beyond anything words could describe. Each night as he held me, my heart seemed to flutter alive with his love and when he made love to me, it was like a ship sailing home after being lost at sea. It was like finding out I had been blind for so long. He was my sight, my savior. I was truly happy and for the first time, I wasn’t afraid of tomorrow. I was content with who I was and the moment I lived in. Garrison made sure I was always protected and he meant what he said. I never knew love could be so pure, so powerful, and so addicting.
     Royalty was another thing. I wasn’t used to servants serving me. When I woke, Mrs. Potter would have a tray of breakfast for me and she would come to collect my clothes to wash. One time, she found me carrying the basket of laundry to wash and gave me an earful. I was being pampered due to my pregnancy and also because I was the lady of the house. There wasn’t anything else I could do or say that they servants wouldn’t attend to. They made sure I was taken care of. But I wasn’t used to it and being left alone at times when Garrison had to be stuck in meetings with his father left me bored.
     “I’m bored,” I said one night after dinner. We were sitting together facing the setting of the sun. The workers were getting ready to leave for the day. I was tired, but I was also eager to start on something that was my own.
     “Of me?” Garrison asked.
     Laughing, I turned to him. “No, never you. I have nothing to do. I’m not used to it.”
     “Well, what would you like to do? I can send Mrs. Potter to get what you need and you can complete what you want.”
     I sighed deeply. “How can I put this in words you would understand? I need a job.”
     He laughed. “No.”
     “Garrison! I can’t just sit at home all day long waiting for you to return home.”
     “Why not? The other wives do it.”
     “I’m not like the other wives. For one, I wasn’t born royal. I’ve always had to work with my own two hands to get what I needed. I’m not used to this life style. It’s becoming…thick with boredom. I need to do something valuable.”
     “What do you mean?”
     “Well, I like teaching. I like children. I wanted to do some teaching to students.”
     “At the University?”
     I rolled my eyes. “Garrison, I said children.”
     “I understand. Some college students are still children.”
     “Point taken.”
     “All right. I’ll talk to my father and see what he can do.”
     “I don’t want him to pull any strings. I want to get this on my own. I don’t want anyone saying I got something done because I’m married to you or because Andrew spoke to someone. I want to be proud of what I’m going to do. And if you keep butting in, I’ll never feel that glory.”
     He reached over and touched my cheek. “I’m confused. I thought this was every girl’s dream. I thought every girl wanted to be married to a rich handsome man who could give her anything at a drop of a hat.”
     I smiled. “I still do want that. But I also want to be me. I know that you may not understand it because you were raised differently than me. You were given a royal title to carry as soon as you were born. But me, I’ve had to fight for things I wanted in life. It’s not easy. Just trust me enough on this. Let me do this on my own, ok?”
     He ran his fingers over my knuckles and sighed deeply. “But does this mean, you won’t be home when I come back? Will we have to work to see each other?”
     “Of course not! Is that what you’re worried about?”
     “I’ve seen what it can do to people, Peyton. The time spent apart, the fighting to have a romantic night out, it’s all chaos. I hate it. I don’t like it. And I don’t want that with you.”
     “You won’t. You’ll always have me. Remember, what you said? I’m the first woman you’ve ever chased?”
     He smiled, his eyes filling with the same smoky passion as when he needed me. “Of course. And I got you, didn’t I?”
     “Yes. And you’ll never get rid of me unless you say the word.”

     True to form, Garrison didn’t call his father. I spent the morning portion speaking to an admission director at the small elementary school three miles from town. She asked me to go in later in the afternoon to meet. Dressed in a sleek black pencil skirt, a white blouse, and black pump heels, I drove the car to the school. It was smaller than I imagined but it was still a very attractive environment. There were swings, a merry go round, and a few slides. The children were already out of school and the school seemed silent and eerie. I parked the car, got out, and walked inside. It smelled of slight mold and some overcooked school lunch. The smell almost made me vomit as I tried to control my pregnancy gags. I walked to the main office where a petite redhead girl with beautiful green eyes was just typing on a computer.
     “Hello,” she said in a thick accent. “May I be of help?”
     “Yes, I’m here to see Denise Jurington? I’m Peyton Remington.”
     She smiled. “Oh! You’re Mrs. Remington. I’ll page her. Please sit down.” I smiled and took a seat as I heard her voice over the intercom. A while later, the door to the office opened and a very curvy brunette with soft blue eyes entered. She was wearing a red dress with a black shawl thrown over her shoulders. I stood up and she extended her hand to me.
     “Mrs. Remington, I’m so honored to meet you. Please, come into my office,” she said.
     “Thank you.” I followed her out the door to another smaller room. It was cozy decorated with warm brown shades and a large red loveseat. Boy, the teachers here do get it good. She sat on one end and gestured for me to sit on the other. As soon as I sat down, she took out a small notebook and opened it.
     “Well, I’m so glad you called when you did because our music teacher turned in her resignation this afternoon. It’s perfect timing. Do you sing?” she asked.
     “I don’t. But I can play the piano.”
     Her smile grew wider. “Great! The children are very young and wouldn’t mind if the teacher couldn’t sing. But as long as you can play the piano, it would be perfect. Now, tell me, have you had any experience with teaching?”
     “A long time ago, but I haven’t been rusty, if that’s what you’re asking.”
     She laughed. “I trust you still have your motherhood skills?”
     I blushed. “Well, I did raise four of my nieces.”
     “How nice. Here at Parker Academy, we value the beauty of music and arts. It’s how our students learn to appreciate the beauty in life and the surrounding world around them. We have a small music program, but we do a lot with it. Each year, we host a concert for the parents to attend so they can see what they students have been working on. It’s one of the most sought out programs of the year!”
     I smiled. “It’s wonderful to hear.”
     “The school begins at 8 in the morning and ends at 3. We have lunch at noon and the students get to go out for some play time during then. We have uniforms for students to wear and staff members are required to make sure the students’ attire meet the guidelines daily. You as a teacher will not have to wear a uniform, but we do ask that your attire be professional.”
     “I have something to confess before we continue.” Her eyes grew big. “I’m expecting sometime in the fall.” Her eyes fell to my belly and then she burst out laughing. I was surprised and she shook her head in apology.
     “Please excuse my sudden outburst. For a moment there, I thought you were going to confess that you were a man!” This time, I laughed out loud. She smiled and touched my hand.
     “That’s beautiful news! I have two of my own.”

     “I got a job,” I said as Garrison sat down for dinner. His fork was stabbed with steak and was in midair as he stared at me. His eyes were glistening with happiness as he set the fork down and came to kiss me gently on the lips.
     “Congratulations, my wife,” he whispered. He kissed me once more before returning to his seat. “Where at?”
     “At Parker Academy, teaching music.”
     His eyes lit up. “You never told me you could sing.”
     “I can’t. But I can play the piano.”
     “Oh, so can I. Perhaps we should play a duet.”
     I smiled. “Perhaps.” We finished dinner and I excused myself to shower. When I arrived in the bathroom, Garrison was right behind me. I turned to him and he captured my lips.
     “I honestly can’t begin to describe how you have captivated me. Know that I live to drink in the nectar of your scent, sleep in your embrace and lose myself in the depths of your beautiful soul. I crumble to my knees at your mercy in the hopes that your kisses will save me from destruction. Love me to exhaustion and beyond. Can you give me more?”
     My stomach fluttered with his words and the emotional hayride from my pregnancy made tears fill my eyes. I took in a soft breath and reached over to touch his face. “Garrison, I-“
     “You have bewitched me, Peyton. Each time I see your smile, it’s as if you’ve casted a spell on me. I don’t know how to deal with this feeling. It frightens me. Is it possible to love you more than what I can?”
     My eyes flew wide open. “Can you?”
     His eyes were hungry for desire and his lips were half parted. His breath was uneven as he closed the distance between us. The heat spread and I felt the hunger. When his fingers caressed my cheeks, I tried to stifle the moan creeping up on me. I immediately shut my eyes and he jerked me to open them.
     “No,” his voice was hoarse. “Don’t close your eyes. I want to see what I can do to you. I want to see your eyes when your body betrays you and lets me win to do what I please. Give it all to me, Peyton, only me.”
     Before I realize, I’d been stripped down and the water was turned on. He gently lifts me up into his arms and carries me to the shower where the water is warm. Holding me in his arms, whispering love words, I become lost in his hold. His lips are sending me to heaven and making my head dizzy. His hands are across my belly, protecting what is his. This is what love is all about.

    
     I wake suddenly and I’m alone. I turned to switch the light on and I can see that Garrison had slept beside me. Putting the robe on, I walked down the stairs to find Mrs. Potter working on breakfast. She looked up at me with a soft smile.
     “Good morning, Mrs. Remington,” she said.
     “Where is Garrison?”
     “His father called here earlier today, said it was an emergency and he left. He left you a note in the sunroom. Shall I get it for you?”
     “No, I can get it,” I said as I begin heading in that direction. Indeed, there is a note and surprise. A dozen red roses lie on the table in single column. A smile curves on my lips as I picked up the note.
     “I hate to leave you, but my father called me today and requested my presence. I won’t be long. All my love, Garrison.”
     My heart kicks into a meltdown at his words. I collect the roses and walk back to the kitchen where I find Tasha standing with her arms crossed staring at me. Her hair is a beautiful mess of curls and she’s so well put together while I am standing in my robe. I feel jealous as I set the roses down and wave Mrs. Potter out of the room.
     “Seems life of being a royal wife agrees well with you. You seem to be glowing,” Tasha said.
     “I’m glowing because I’m carrying Garrison’s baby.”
     Her face pales and she lets her arms fall to her side in shock. Her eyes fall to my belly and then slowly she takes a step backward. “Bullshit. Garrison would never be stupid enough to plant his seed where it doesn’t belong.”
     I smiled. “Well, obviously, he was smart not to plant it in you. If that’s what you’re really saying, I agree.”
     Her cheeks flushed red and she walked toward me with blinding anger. I knew that look and I knew she was going to hit me. But before her hand can fly across my cheek, we hear Garrison’s booming voice.
     “You better not touch my wife.”
     Tasha’s hand slowly lowers and she turns to face him as he enters the room wearing the darkest glare I’ve seen. He looks captivating in his black suit, but his eyes are anything but forgiving. When he reaches me, he puts his arm around my waist.
     “Garrison, what do you think you’re doing with this woman?”
     “I’m living forever with her. Can’t you see the size of her ring? It’s my love for the world to see she’s been claimed.”
     Tasha lets out a sob. “I have never been dishonest with you. Why couldn’t you see that I love you?”
     “I don’t care what you are, Tasha. You were a small attraction until the real thing came along. You never gave me hope. You never saw me for who I was.”
     “And she does?! She doesn’t even know anything about being royal! She’s an America for crying out loud. She doesn’t understand the protocol of being the English rose your father so desires. Why her? Why choose her when you could have had me?” Tasha is now crying her eyes are smeared black with her makeup. She looks a mess and no longer the attractive siren who first walked in.  
     Garrison lets go of my waist and walks toward her with his eyes never leaving hers. “Tasha, for the last bloody time, get out of my life. I never desired you, never. The woman I love, the woman I want and need, is my wife. She’s the lifeline that makes tomorrow better.”
     Tasha gasps and runs out of the house. He turns around and watches me for a moment before opening his arms to me. I walk into them and the comfort I need fills me up.

     Midnight cloaks the room with its dark arms, but I’m awake and trying to sleep makes my head dizzy. Garrison is sleeping deeply beside me and as comforting as it sounds, I can’t find sleep. I wake and find my way down to the sunroom where I curled up on the couch. The material of the couch seemed to sink into me and pretty soon, my eyes grew heavy.
     “What are you doing here?” Garrison’s voice jerked me up.
     I opened my eyes and he is standing before me with a concerned stare. I stretch and sit up. “What time is it?”
     “It’s still early. I woke up and you were gone.”
     “I’m sorry, Garrison. I couldn’t sleep so I got up and then when I got here, I fell asleep.”
     “It doesn’t make me feel good knowing you could fall asleep alone here on the couch and not next to me.”
     I laughed. “For goodness sakes, Garrison, I’m pregnant and my body is no longer my own. Sometimes you need to suck it up and stop pestering me.”
     “Are you being hormonal or just…mean?”
     My eyes flew wide open. “Mean? You think I’m mean?”

     A smile curved his lips. “Well, for three in the morning, yes, you are.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab