Piquant Chapter 5

I didn’t return home until almost midnight. I sat in a bar lounge watching everyone around me live their lives. I kept hearing his mother’s words describing me enter my mind and it kept wounding me. But what wounded me more was when I returned home to find Garrison wasn’t home. I called his phone and it rang a few times before it went to voicemail. Feeling frustrated, I went downstairs to get a drink. I fumbled around the kitchen cabinets until I found a stash of hard liquor. I poured myself some Whiskey and began drowning in it. I tried his number again. This time, someone picked up, except it wasn’t Garrison. It was Tasha. I recognized her sultry voice and anger hit me so hard, I threw my phone against the wall. It shattered into pieces and I began to cry. Hurt escalated through my body and I started swearing at the wall. I drank some more and then threw the bottle against the wall. Tears streamed down my face as I thought back to his promises, which now meant nothing to me.
     “Milady?” Mrs. Potter asked as she came down the stairs. “Are you all right?”
     “Where are the keys to the car?” I asked.
     She stared at me and crossed her arms. “I can have Seth take you where you want to go.”
     “Where are they?!” I cried.
     She jumped. “You’re not fit to drive, milady. You’ve been drinking.”
     I laughed, feeling the alcohol numb my body. I moved toward her and felt the room spin. It was then that I realized I hadn’t had anything to eat that day. I grabbed the counter and repeated the question.
     “I’ll call—“
     “Don’t even bother! Give me the keys!” I cried. “Now!” The last word came out like murder and she finally headed to the cabinet behind her and handed me the keys. I stumbled to the garage and got into the car. I pressed the garage door opener and turned the car on. It came to life and I backed out of the garage as tears blinded me. I cursed Garrison to hell and back as I roared the car to the highway. It was dark and quiet. All I heard was the sob that came from my voice. I had enough of pain. I had enough of lies. I had enough of everything. I had given my all to Garrison and now I was once again at square one. I was tired of broken promises. I wanted to escape. When I saw the blinding headlights shining directly toward me, I reared the car into full speed ahead.

     The ticking of the clock woke me. My entire body felt sore and my throat was dry and itchy. The first thing I saw was the IV lines going into my arm. When I shifted my body, a beeping sound came on. I heard footsteps rushing in and I saw a man in green scrubs leaning over me. The smell of antibacterial soap stung my nose. I felt like I wanted to heave. I turned and shut my eyes as a buzzing sound pounded my head.
     “Give her some more sedatives,” the man in the green scrubs said. I drifted out again.
     It was evening when I woke. My body was still sore. I was alone. I had been confined to the bed with straps. I swallowed and it hurt. Tears filled my eyes as I thought about what happened. My heart ached for my mother. I wanted her. I heard the door open and the same man in the green scrubs walked in. Our eyes met and he smiled when as he pulled up a chair. He removed my straps and I rubbed my arms.
     “Peyton, I’m Dr. Charles Rumberg. How do you feel?”
     I sighed deeply. “Sore. How long have I been out?”
     “Four days.”
     I gasped. “Four days?”
     “Do you remember anything at all?”
     I shut my eyes, remembering Tasha’s voice on the Garrison’s phone; the anger, the pain, and the tears. I remembered drinking the alcohol and taking the car. But everything else blacked out after that. I told him that.
     “You were in a car crash. You’re very lucky to be alive. You’re going to be just fine and so is your baby.”
     My ears must have heard wrong. I sat up. “Wait. What?”
     He reached over and covered my hand. “You’re four weeks pregnant.”
     Tears filled my eyes. “You’re lying.”
     His smile faded. “I take it this is not good news for you?”
     I turned away. I was pregnant. My hand fell to my belly and I began to sob. Guilt filled me as I thought about what I had done.
     “Your husband is in the waiting room. He hasn’t gone anywhere since you’ve been brought in. I’ll let him know you’re awake.”
     “No!” I cried forcefully turning to look at him. “I don’t want to see him.”
     He nodded. “Very well. As you wish. I’ll be back to check on you.”
     He left and I sat up as much as I could. Pain shot through my right shoulder. A baby? I was pregnant. Tears filled my eyes as I thought about what I had done or tried to do. I wiped my eyes just as I heard voices outside my door.  
     “I don’t care what she said!” Garrison’s voice shouted. The door burst open and he walked in slamming it shut. Our gaze locked and I realized he was still wearing the same outfit he had on when I left him at his father’s house. His eyes held dark circles underneath and he had a four day beard stubble. He took a step toward me and I raised my hand. 
     “That’s far enough,” I warned.
     He stopped and blinked. “What were you thinking?”
     I laughed. “What was I thinking? Don’t you dare, Garrison!”
     “What are you talking about?”
     Tears burned my eyes. “All those promises you made, all those stupid lies!”
     “What are you talking about?”
     “Don’t pretend like you don’t know anything!” I cried.
     Garrison’s face broke into confusion and he closed the distance between us. He tried to reach for me, but I pulled away. The hurt appeared on his face as he took a step back.
     “Can you kindly explain to me what I did?”
     “I want a divorce.”
     His eyes flung open. “Divorce? On what grounds?”
     “Marriage under false pretense.”
     “You’re carrying my child, Peyton. Did the doctor tell you that?”
     I gave him a dark glare. “I don’t care.”
     He reached for me.
     “Don’t touch me!” I cried.
     “God damn it! What did I do wrong?”
     Tears escaped down my cheeks and I let out a shaky breath. “Why did Tasha have your phone?”
     He raked his fingers through his hair. “What are you talking about?”
     I tried to control my breathing. “I spent all day at the bar lounge in Sheldon.”
     His eyes opened wide. “What the bloody hell were you doing in Sheldon?”
     “I needed time to think. Your mother wasn’t very nice and her words made me realize how poorly compatible we were. I needed time to think. I came back around midnight. You weren’t home. I called you and Tasha picked up.”
     Garrison shook his head. “Sweetheart, you are mistaken so deeply. She came later that afternoon to urge my mother to make me divorce you. I left my phone on the table and I was arguing with my mother. When you called, she must have saw your name and picked up to hurt you.”
     “I don’t believe you.”
     “You don’t?”
     “No. It’s obvious this isn’t going to work out. The arrangement was to get my photos out of the press. They’re now gone. I want a divorce.”
     He shook his head. “You can ask all you want, darling. I’m not granting it to you. One, your womb has my child! A child you had growing and you were drinking and crashed your car! Do you have any idea what you put me through?”
     I looked away. “I don’t care. I shouldn’t have thought this was going to work out. I let myself fall in love with you and I got hurt.”
     “In love? With me?”
     I looked up and saw his expression of pure shock. “I said it. I’m in love with you. And I’m now again back to piecing my heart together.”
     Garrison swallowed and walked to me. “You think you’re the only one who is in love? You don’t think I have the heart to love you in return? I have never loved anyone before you, Peyton. I didn’t know how. You changed that in me. You taught me how to love. And now you want to leave me because of a simple misunderstanding? Well guess what, sweetheart. I’m not letting you go. That ring on your finger says you belong to me. And the child growing in your womb is half of me. You’re not going anywhere but home with me.” He turned and left.

     A child. I had a child growing inside of me. A little life was forming together from me and Garrison. The child was going to be inside me for nine months. I was going to be a mother. It was still unbelievable. I didn’t want to believe it. The following morning, the doctor took me and Garrison into the ultrasound room and showed me a glimpse of the baby. There, we saw our baby. The actual truth hit me hard and I cried. When Garrison tried to comfort me, I pushed him away. I hadn’t forgiven him. Perhaps it wasn’t his fault. But the pain was still very real.
     I was released later that day. I hadn’t called my mother. I wasn’t sure if Garrison had. When I arrived home, Mrs. Potter had made me some hot chicken soup. But my stomach was unsettling and I vomited bile. Garrison helped me to the bedroom and put me in before he came back with a tray of hot tea.
     “How are you feeling?” he asked.
     “I’m tired. Can you leave me alone, please?”
     Garrison sighed. “I don’t want to.”
     “Do it. I’m tired of fighting with you. Can you just do as I ask, please?”
     He came to sit on the bed beside me. When he reached for my hand, I pulled it away. “Peyton, don’t do this. It was a misunderstanding.”
     “It’s not about Tasha anymore. It’s about you not granting me what I want. I don’t fit in your life here, Garrison. I never have. Just sign the divorce papers.”
     He sighed. “No. Keep asking. The answer will be no.”
     “Then move out of this room. I don’t want you in here with me.”
     “As long as you stay here with me, I’ll do anything.”

     I hadn’t called my mother. I wasn’t prepared to tell her. I wasn’t prepared to take her reaction. Andrew came to visit me, but I denied his request to see me. I didn’t want to see anyone. I had stopped planning the wedding and all sense of happiness drained from me. I didn’t want this anymore. After hearing his mother’s take on me, I wanted out. I didn’t belong here. I didn’t want to be here.
     Pregnancy. Ok, so I was pregnant. It happens when you have unprotected sex. It was my fault. I should have taken precaution. But whatever happens, the baby will not be harmed. I would raise him to my best ability. Garrison would always have a place in the baby’s life. But not in mine. It was too difficult to love. It was too heartbreaking to want to be in love. I began to focus solely on my child and let the pregnancy cure the heartache. It would be the reason for me to move on, to live. My baby wouldn’t judge me.
     After a week cooped up in bed, I finally dressed decent and went downstairs for breakfast. I was still sore, but I was beginning to feel stronger. The smell of bacon hung in the air and as soon as I breathed it in, I ran to the bathroom and retched.
     “Peyton!” Garrison cried as he came in after me. He held my hair as I emptied my stomach. He got me a warm towel and wiped my mouth as he helped me stand. I pulled away from him and he grabbed my arm.
     “Let me help you,” he said.
     “I don’t need you,” I muttered. I pushed past him and reached for Mrs. Potter’s outstretched hand. She helped me to sit and she brought a cup of tea to me.
     “Tea usually helps settle my stomach when I was pregnant, milady. This sickness usually goes away within a few months,” she said.
     I smiled at her and took a small sip of tea. The warmth of it comforted me. Garrison walked in and she stood up to go, but I held her hand. He noticed it and left.
     “He has been very worried about you, milady.”
     “It’s all an act.”
     “I can assure you it’s not. I have never seen him this way before.”
     I ignored her as I drank my tea. I released her hand and she took it as her cue to leave. As soon as she was gone, Garrison rounded the corner. I didn’t look at him as he came to sit down beside me. He pulled the newspaper from the table and began reading. If he wanted to play this game, I could too. I continued to drink my tea. The warmth of it soothing my sickness and making me tired. Before I knew it, I drifted off.
     I woke pressed against a warm body. I was sleeping in Garrison’s arms in our bed. I looked up and saw he was wide awake and staring at me. I tried to push away, but he tightened his hold around me.
     “Don’t,” he whispered.
     “Why aren’t you in the other room?”
     “You were dreaming. I came in and you turned into me.”
     Did I? I couldn’t remember. I looked away and laid my hand on his chest. It was firm and strong like the rest of him. His scent tickled my nose and I felt comforted by it somehow.
     “Did you mean what you said?” he asked.
     I looked up. “About what?”
     His eyes darkened. “About loving me.”
     I looked away. He was asking me this now? Slowly, his hand came up to tilt my gaze to meet his. I saw my reflection, still as beautiful as ever. I swallowed hard, all the emotion rushing to me. He lowered his head until his lips were inches from mine. But he was waiting for me to come my half, to make sure it was ok for him to kiss me. So I closed the distance. It was a soft kiss, but still I felt the passion burn between us. When we pulled away, I could feel the heat.
     “Did you?” he asked.
     “What about you?”
     He smiled. “Why are you avoiding the question?”
     “Why are you?”
     He cocked his head. “I’m not, Peyton. Every single word I said that day, I said it from the bottom of my heart. I think I loved you before I even met you.”
     “But we’re not fit to be together.”
     He shook his head. “Don’t let others decide how we should be, Peyton. My mother is the last person you should listen to. I know what she said hurt you, but if you divorce me now, she’ll be smiling. Don’t let her.”
     I realized he was right. “I’m sorry.”
     “For what?”
     “I didn’t know I was pregnant.”
     He touched my cheek. “It wasn’t your fault. I wanted to come home to you. But my mother was being crazy, accusing my father. Then Tasha came over and threw everything out of control. You must have called sometime then. I didn’t know. When I came back home, Mrs. Potter told me and I drove off after you. When I found you, every part of me died. Then when I heard you were pregnant, I wanted to kill myself for not protecting you.”
     “What did your mother want?”
     He shut his eyes, obviously the pain still fresh. When he opened them again, they were clouded with a darkness that frightened me. “My mother, if I didn’t have her genes inside of me, I’d never have anything to do with that woman.”
     I touched his face. “Talk to me.”
     “She left when I was young. She had the mansion, the money, the love. But it wasn’t enough for her. She wanted more. She wanted my father to give up his claim to his title.”
     I frowned. “Why would she want that?”
     “Because she was in love with someone else.”
     “Oh,” I whispered quietly.
     He moved his gaze toward the window. “She begged my father to take pity on her. She had fallen in love; it wasn’t her fault. But my father refused and she left without a second thought. I was still young, but I remember the look she gave me when she left. It was a look that has burned my memory for the past 20 years. If a mother could give her own child that kind of glare, she wasn’t meant to be a mother.” He turned back to face me.
     “She came back because her lover had left her and taken all of her money. She had nowhere to go and wanted my father to take her back in. She was out of luck or so she claimed.”
     “Goodness, I hope your father denied her.”
     “He did more than deny her. He kicked her out.”
     “Well good for him.”
     “But not before she was able to curse him, curse me, and curse you. I almost pounded her when she mentioned you. Tasha came to beg my father to have me divorce you. The two of them started fighting against us with words and screams. All I wanted was to come home to you.”
     “And then you came home,” I started.
     “And you were gone.”
     Tears burned my eyes. “Yes.”
     “Yes, what?”
     “Yes, I meant what I said in the hospital, about loving you.”
     He smiled. “So can I move back in?”  

     Andrew came by the following day and I finally had the courage to see him. I was a bit embarrassed at what I had done. I was also guilty of trying to leave his son. I wasn’t sure he was going to be kind to me. Dressed in a yellow maxi dress, I had my hair down and was putting the final touches to myself when Garrison walked in. He looked so handsome in his blue sweater and jeans. It was a simple look that he owned. He smiled at me and came to wrap his arms around me, his hands falling to my belly.
     “How are you this morning?” he asked.
     “I’m well. I haven’t had any morning sickness yet, so I’m not complaining.”
     “Good. My father is waiting for us. Let’s go.”
     We went down the stairs to the sunroom where he was sitting sipping a cup of tea. When he saw us, he rose and offered me his arms. I walked into them and he held me gently before he released me. We sat down across from each other.
     “You had me worried, young lady,” Andrew began. “When you were in the hospital, I was certain Garrison was going to be next because he refused to eat.”
     I turned to look at Garrison who was smiling. “Thank you for coming out to see me. I’m sorry I denied your visits. I wasn’t myself and I didn’t want anyone seeing me at my worse.”
     “Of course, I understand perfectly. I should hope my unborn grandson is well.”
     I smiled. “Grandson?”
     “Can you see my excitement? I’ve longed to bounce a babe on these knees.”
     Garrison leaned in to kiss my temple. “We’re excited to oblige your request, father.”
     Andrew laughed. “You look lovely, Peyton. Pregnancy agrees with you.”
     “Thank you so much.”
     Andrew stayed for lunch and we chattered about the wedding. He was more excited about presenting me to the public than I was. When he mentioned that the guest list had grown, I felt my inside jumbled.
     “In six months, I’ll be very large. I’m afraid it might create a scandal,” I said as I chewed my steak. The look on the men’s faces finally took in what I said. Andrew sat back and wiped his mouth on the napkin and nodded.
     “Right. How about we move the wedding date to next month? You’re only four weeks along. You won’t be showing then. You may still fit in your original designs; perhaps take an inch or two from the bosom.”
     I blushed. “What?”
     Garrison laughed. “Father, how about you just take care of calling everyone to let them know the wedding has been moved. I’ll help Peyton take care of…dress fittings.”
     I smiled. “Thank you.”

     Andrew laughed. “Very well.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Majurat See Nam Pueng