The Luck Charm Chapter 8


The wind blew the curtains softly as Jedidiah sat on the floor of his room in the dark. He listened to the house groan and moan its pain of losing its beauty after so long. Inside, he felt the same because time was slipping from his fingers and he hadn’t done much. He hadn’t been able to move on, forgive, or love. What would tomorrow continue to bring if this was the case? Would he continue to drown in misery and consume hatred all his life? Would he ever find someone who would look at him in another light? Sure, he wanted to hate Anna, but he found the more he tried to hate her, the more attracted she became. She had a beauty in her soul that he’d never seen before. She was like a pure light shining from a dark tunnel. He’d been stuck in that tunnel for so long that he was afraid of coming out.

He leaned his head against the wall and let out a deep heavy breath. Tonight, he’d wanted her, wanted her enough that he ached. He’d never had to feel that before. He’d never looked at a woman and wanted her so bad that he felt as if his limbs were ready to fall apart for her. Anna was pure, beautiful, and angelic in a way that tortured his black heart. Tonight when she played, it seemed as if the walls had burned and he was swimming in fire. It had all but eaten him alive as he listened. His ears still echoed the melody that hummed from her fingers. Then he touched her and felt her flesh beneath his skin, his joints melted and he learned what breathing was. He hadn’t been breathing before tonight and for the first time, the veil over his eyes was finally lifted. He finally saw what life was all about.

“Jedidiah.”

He sat up suddenly and listened as he heard the whisper again. His skin rose in goosebumps as he stood up. When the bedroom curtains lifted again, he saw his brother, Hans, appear before him dressed in his burial white suit. Jedidiah let out a soft gasp and took several steps back. His face was unbroken and he was smiling like he had when he was still alive. Jedidiah felt tears enter his eyes and the moisture ran down his cheeks. He was shivering as he fell to his knees and crawled to his brother. When he reached Hans, his brother lifted him to a standing position and hugged him. The embrace brought hope to his heart that he wasn’t alone; that somewhere he was being watched over.

“Hey, little guy,” Hans said.

Jedidiah pushed away and let out a soft sob. “You…is this real?”

Hans smiled and patted his cheek. “It’s as real as you want it to be, little guy.”

“Why are you here? You’ve never visited me before.”

Hans laughed. “Well, I never wanted to give you a beating…until now.”

“You’re not real. How can you beat me?”

Jedidiah felt the knock on his head and winced. “Ow.”

“Good enough for you?”

He rubbed his head. “You still don’t know your limits when it comes to me.”

“Little guy, do you? When have you stopped to take a look at yourself in the mirror and taken a step back? I’ve been watching you and you’ve been running around in circles. It’s time to settle down. You’re not going to be young forever and you cannot hate and blame another for something they had no control over.”

Jedidiah swallowed. “I know, but it feels better to do that than to accept the changes.”

“Life is all about changes, brother. If you live life without change, we don’t grow. I know that when our parents left us, you had trouble getting over it. You were trapped and now, you’re still fighting to get out. You need to let go and learn to forgive. Anna isn’t at fault neither is the driver. It was my time to go. I’ve seen it all.”

Jedidiah frowned. “What do you mean?”

Hans sighed and put a hand on Jedidiah’s shoulder. “When I arrived in heaven, I was shown my life. It didn’t matter what had happened that night, Jedidiah. I was destined to go and I had taken the route to be there at that time. I would have been gone no matter what; in my sleep, in the shower, at work. It was written. You have to learn that sometimes we are given a certain journey when we are born and we must follow it.”

Jedidiah started crying. “But why? Why did it have to be you being stripped from me? Wasn’t it enough that our parents were gone?”

“Because it was my destination, little guy, that’s all there is to it. I need you to let go and forgive. Anna and you were destined to meet again because she’s yours and you are hers. You’ll have to win her heart, Jedidiah.”

“How? I’ve been a monster to her.”

“She’s the one who held you and called you in the dark. It was her voice that called you back to reality. Search inside your heart, Jedidiah, and you’ll find the way to get inside her soul.”

Jedidiah nodded and lowered his head, sighing long and hard. When he looked up, he was alone. He dropped to the ground and let out sobs that tore from his heart.

 

Anna set out the orange juice on the table and pulled out a chair then went to help Rose to sit down. The weekend had arrived and Rose was getting stronger as she followed the strict diet that Thomas had given to her. The medicine seemed to be working and giving Rose the strength she needed. Rose looked beautiful in a pale colored pant suit and Anna had helped put her hair in a low bun.

“Where is Jedidiah?” Rose asked.

“Right here,” he said as he joined them.

Anna ignored his eyes as she scooped some fruits onto Rose’s plate. She’d tried to ignore him as much as she could since that night in the den. It was hard because she felt her heart betraying her and she felt soft when he was near her. She didn’t know why and she couldn’t help but want to push to see where it would take her. To fight herself was a battle she knew she would lose. So she stayed away from him as much as she could. It had worked until now when he was home from work and looking great in jeans and a black button down shirt. He was staring at her, she knew, because she could feel his gaze on her.

“Good morning, Anna,” he said.

Without looking at him, she replied, “Morning.”

“Talk to me about work,” Rose said as Anna settled into her chair.

“We’re doing well. I’ve sold all the shares of York at a great price. We’ve earned back more than what I thought we would.”

“Good. What’s going on tonight?”

“There’s a celebration for Peter Young. Global Tech recently announced him as their new president of marketing. William sent me an invite.”

“Do you plan on attending?” Rose asked.

“Yes.”

Rose smiled and ate a strawberry. “Then you should take Vivi with you. She’s beautiful and with her on your arm, you’ll make a good impression.”

“Actually, grandma, I was planning on asking Anna to go.”

Anna looked up with a mouthful of fruit in her mouth and almost choked. She found Rose’s eyebrows raised in question as she stared at her. She looked from Rose to Jedidiah and swallowed down the fruits.

“Oh, tonight? Actually, Thomas has been invited and he already asked me,” Anna said.

Jedidiah looked away and then shrugged. “Well, Vivi it is then.”

 

     The gala was filled with beautifully dressed people in expensive dresses, men in tux, and waiters with white gloves carrying trays of twinkling glasses with wine. Anna nervously glanced around the room as Thomas led her from group to group, greeting them, and introducing her. She was wearing a long green strapless dress with a pearl necklace around her slender neck. She felt out of place because everyone else sported diamond necklaces and brand name gowns. She was nervous when Thomas introduced her because she had no idea what to say. But Thomas never left her side and when they finally made the rounds, they ended up on the dance floor swaying together.

     “I don’t think I told you how beautiful you look tonight,” Thomas said.

     Blushing, she said, “Thank you. You clean up nice.”

     “Ah, so you’re telling me the scrubs don’t turn you on?”

     “The scrubs are nice, but I prefer this on you.”

     Thomas smiled and pulled her closer. “You know, I’m glad I met you. This year, I was told by a psychic that I would meet someone interesting and she would change my life.”

     Anna raised one eyebrow. “Really? Are you sure that psychic wasn’t a fake?”

     “Oh, I’m sure because you’re here and I’m really seeing things differently.”

     “It’s been nice having you around too.”

     Thomas sighed deeply. “What do you say we get out of here?”

     Before Anna could answer, Thomas turned around to find Jedidiah tapping on his shoulder. “May I cut in?”

     Thomas laughed and let Anna go. “Of course. Where is Vivi?”

     Jedidiah gestured with his thumb over his shoulder. Thomas turned to Anna and winked at her before he left her. She sighed and turned to go, but Jedidiah caught her arm and pulled her into his arms.

     “Hey, be nice to me like you were nice to Thomas. I’m sure I clean up good too,” he said.

     Anna’s eyes opened wide. “You were listening?”

     He smiled. “I caught only that line.”

     “Why aren’t you dancing with Viki?”

     “Vivi,” Jedidiah corrected.

     “Well?”

     He smiled and pulled her a bit closer. “She doesn’t like to dance because she says it makes her feel like everyone is watching her. I came here all dressed up and I wanted to show you that I’ve got more to me than just bad manners.”

     “Well, you’ve proved your point. Can you let me go now?”

     “Why? Are you in a hurry to go somewhere?”

     She looked away and found Thomas sitting with Vivi, who was dressed in a fire engine red dress that showed off her shoulders. She wore a large red diamond necklace around her neck and sported a diamond tennis bracelet. Anna turned back to Jedidiah and found him watching her.

     “Vivi is beautiful,” she said.

     “That she is, but that’s all she is.”

     “What do you mean?”

     “I mean, being beautiful is the only thing Vivi knows how to be.”

     “Well, I guess that is all she needs when she’s got the beauty.”

     Jedidiah sighed and rolled his eyes. “Can we stop talking about her?”

     “What did you want to talk about?”

     He moved in closer to her, leaned down to her ear, and whispered, “I want to talk about what I need to do to have you wake up in my bed.”

     She gasped and tried to move from his arms when he dropped her hand and slipped both arms around her waist, bringing her closer to him.

     “Don’t fight me or I’ll nibble your ear,” he warned.

     “Jedidiah, please let me go.”

     “I love the sound of your voice when you say my name. I want to hear you say it again.”

     Anna pushed him away and their eyes met. The song stopped and people began to clear off the dance floor. She watched as his eyes danced with the lights twinkling above. She felt his hand make its way from her waist to her neck. Then he bent his head and captured her lips in a quick, powerful kiss. Before she could react, he let her go just before they were seen by the people around them. She blinked, turned, and walked to where Thomas was sitting.

     “I have to go,” she said as Thomas stood up.

     “Oh, let me take you home,” Thomas said.

     “No, it’s ok. You stay and mingle. I know you have to make a few more rounds. I’ll take a cab home.”

     “I’ll make sure she gets home,” Jedidiah said behind her.

     “But I don’t want to leave yet,” Vivi said.

     Jedidiah smiled. “Then you stay with Thomas and I’ll take Anna home.”

     “Perfect!” Thomas said as he turned to Anna. “Thanks for coming out with me. You have a great night.”

     Anna smiled. “Thanks for inviting me.”

     “Shall we?” Jedidiah asked.

     Without waiting for him, she turned on her heels and walked out. He caught up to her outside the lobby and grabbed her arm, turning her around. She ripped her arm free from his and walked out the door.

     The wind blew against her as she walked down the sidewalk looking for a taxi to wave down. She heard him calling her name but she continued on. She felt his hand on her arm and when he turned her around, instead of meeting his face, she met his lips. He pushed her against the brick wall of the building and kissed her as if he was fishing for air. His hand came to her back and held her tightly against him. When he pulled away, it was to catch his breath and then he came back for more. Anna felt on fire as their kiss deepened. She felt as if the world was spinning around her and if he wasn’t holding onto her, she’d have lost her strength to stand. He pulled free from her lips and trailed kisses down her neck.

     “Tell me you want me,” he whispered.

     Anna’s eyes fluttered opened and she brought up her hands to stop him. “We can’t do this.”

     “Why not?”

     She fought the urge to kiss him again. “Because I don’t want to be another woman you conquered.”

     Jedidiah sighed and trailed a finger down her cheek. “Anna, you mean more to me than that. I have been fighting my feelings for you until I felt I was going to burst. Tonight, seeing you in Thomas’ arms, it made me realize that I should be the only one holding you. Do you know how jealous I was? I wanted to rip you from his arms. I couldn’t stand it.”

     “But you hated me for so long. How do you know it’s not the punishment you want to bestow on me?”

     “Don’t you realize that I’ve never hated you? I tried and it didn’t work. It wasn’t because I hated you. It was because of something more.”

     She swallowed hard. “What is that something more?”

     He fingered her hair and let out a soft breath, not sure how to answer. So he said something else. “Hans came to visit me last night.”

     Anna frowned and opened her mouth to speak, but he silenced her by placing a finger on her lips.

     “He told me some things that made me realize how wrong I was about life. He was right. No matter what, this was how life was supposed to be. I grew up with violence, Anna. All I ever knew was the violence between my parents and I was caught in the middle. I didn’t know that you could love someone with all of your heart. I didn’t know that you could choose to be free of all pain if you just opened your heart.

     “In the dark, when I was trapped, your voice woke me up from the grave I lived in. When I heard your voice, it created a foundation of hope and I found light. I was living in darkness for so long that it consumed all of me. I swallowed buckets of it and it owned me. For so long, all I knew was hate. It was a cancer growing inside of me. But that night when you called out to me, you broke me free of it.”

     Anna shook her head. “No, you did that on your own. I had nothing to do with it.”

     “But you were there all along. Here,” he said as he took her hand and laid it over the necklace he wore. “I wore it and it kept me from going insane. You were like an unseen rainbow that made me hope for the pot of gold.”

     Tears filled her eyes. “Jedidiah, you had faith in you all along. You just needed to find it.”

     “But I found it when I found you again.”

     He tilted her head and lowered his lips to hers. When their lips touched, she let out a soft sigh. He brought his hands to cup her face, letting out trembling breath as he pulled away from her lips.

     “You know, all this time, all I wanted to do was hold you. Yet I couldn’t because I was afraid you’d reject me. I cursed you to hell and back. In the end, you were the one who saved me. Why didn’t you let me suffer alone?” he asked.

     Anna took his hands. “No matter what happened, you were the one suffering in the dark. I know how that feels like. I know how it feels to have no one. I grew up not knowing my own heritage. I had no one to turn to and in the blackest hours, I always told myself that if I could help someone else in their time of grieving, I would. You were caught in a web of doom from the violence you were given as a child. You were looking for a way out and I was there to offer you an exit. It was my destination and I followed it.”

     Jedidiah smiled and kissed her lips gently. “Where do we go from here?”

     “I don’t know, but we’ll figure it out together.”      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab