The Luck Charm Chapter 6

Jedidiah felt the blanket brush against his cheek and woke as the sun’s rays filled his room. He was lying on his side with a pillow under his head and the blanket around him. He sighed deeply and rubbed his face. Another nightmare and yet his grandma had to take care of him when she was sick herself. He sat up and sighed deeply. He ran his hands through his hair, pulling the strands, as he let out a long sigh. He got up, tossed the blanket on the bed, and walked to the bathroom where he splashed cold water on his face.
     He finished dressing in a black suit and walked to sit on the bed, sighing. He couldn’t remember what happened last night. His throat was sore, which meant he’d been crying or yelling. But even then, he felt as if he was comforted last night. His grandmother must have cared for him well because he felt rested, even though he knew he must have been thrashing.
     He sighed, knowing the nightmares were getting worse. He pushed the nightmare away and walked out of the bedroom. He went down the stairs and found his grandmother sitting by the dining table eating her breakfast. She was dressed in a yellow blouse and black pants with her hair pulled behind her. She looked elegant and he gave her a kiss on the cheek.
     “Good morning, Jedidiah. I hope you’re feeling better,” she said.
     He smiled and took a seat. “I am. Thank you.”
     Smiling, she pushed her plate away, half eaten. “How are you feeling?”
     “I’m alright. I have a business meeting tonight and won’t be home until late. But with Anna here, I’m sure you’ll be fine.”
     She nodded. “Don’t worry about me. Anna is great.”
     He scoffed and snickered loudly. “Yeah, she’s a lifesaver, isn’t she? Tell me something I believe in, grandma. She’s not someone I’d look up to any day.”
     His grandmother shook her head and crossed her arms. “That’s not a nice thing to say about someone who took care of you last night.”
     He paused and then looked up at his grandmother. “Excuse me?”
     “I wasn’t feeling well last night. Anna came to you and she took care of you. You punched her by accident.”
     He sighed and closed his eyes. “I did?”
     “Although you have hated her for the past 12 years, in your moment of need and darkness, she was by your side.”
     “I thought it was you who comforted me last night.”
     Shaking her head, she replied, “No. So if I were you, I’d figure out a way to thank her without being an asshole.”
     “I’m not an asshole.”
     “Really?”
     Jedidiah sighed. “At least, not every day.”
    
     With key in hand, Jedidiah walked out to his car to find Anna walking toward him with bags of groceries in her hands. She stopped long enough to glare at him and then she walked passed him. He sighed, remembering his grandmother’s words, and turned to grab the bags from her hands.
     “Let me help you,” he said.
     “Thank you.”
     “Judy usually does the shopping.”
     “I know that, but I wanted to make sure your grandmother had the food she needed to keep her blood pressure under control. “
     He nodded as she walked in. He followed her into the kitchen where he set the bags on the counter. She began to dig into the bags, pulling the items out. He stared at her and realized he was at a loss of words. He ran a hand through his hair and looked at her again, this time catching the bruise on her cheek that she tried to hide with makeup.
     “I’m sorry about last night. My grandmother told me I accidentally hit you.”
     She looked at him. “It’s alright.”
     “I also wanted to thank you for…taking care of me.”
     “You’re welcome.”
     He nodded, not knowing what else to say. “Ok, good day.”
     “Good day,” she said without looking at him.
 
     Jedidiah sat in his office, thinking about his dream from last night. He knew that it would be days before it would disappear from his mind. There were times where he felt as if he would be swallowed whole from the dreams that attacked him. He covered his face with his hands, trying to push the thoughts from his mind. But they lingered around like an unwanted guest. He sighed deeply, leaned back in his chair, and knew that with the way how he was, nothing would be done.
     He stood up and walked to the window, staring outside at the warm weather. It was lunch time and he could see the employees outside enjoying the afternoon sun. He knew that he should be happy that he was alive to enjoy life, but how could you learn to enjoy it when all you had were painful memories?
     He grew up with knowing nothing but violence. For as long as he could remember, he’d seen his father beat his mother. The reasons weren’t even reason enough to put your hands on someone. But for his father, everything his mother did or didn’t do was cause to get hurt. It was his only way to show how much he loved her.
     He’d walked in on the night his father decided his mother had enough of life. He’d walked in and witnessed as his father pulled the trigger and ended his mother’s life. He’d been curious and it was the one time he regretted not listening to his brother. What he saw tortured his dreams and his life until now. Although therapy helped a bit, inside, he was still broken. No one probably would ever be able to fix it. And then losing his brother had ended the sanity that he tried so hard to live with. Hans’ death had been the last straw that denied him life’s little pleasures. He found he hated everything and everyone and he could live in hate forever. The only person left who loved him completely was his grandma. He tried to stay sane for her, but on the nights where he was tortured by demons from his dreams, he found it harder than he thought.
     And to make matters worse, Anna had entered his life again. He’d spent so long trying to move past her, but he couldn’t. Then she showed up and brought the past back to haunt him. He fingered the necklace he wore around his neck and sighed deeply. It was something he couldn’t move away from. He always found himself running back to the same path. And now, knowing she took care of him last night, made the thoughts in his mind juggle with confusion. Why did she do it? Why did she take care of him? Her job was to take care of his grandmother? He basically spit out that he hated her and any sane person would ignore.
     “Jedidiah?”
     He turned to the sound of his receptionist’s voice on his phone. “Yeah?”
     “You have a visitor.”
     He looked at his schedule and sat down in his chair. “Who is it? I don’t have anyone scheduled for today.”
     “It’s Anna.”
     He sighed deeply and rubbed his temples. “Let her in.”
     A few moments later, Anna walked in carrying a basket. She was dressed in a pair of white jeans and a pink top that brought out her eyes. He stood up as she entered.
     “What is it?” he asked.
     She set the basket down in front of him. “Rose asked me to bring this to you. She was afraid you’d be hungry and she also wanted me to check up on you.”
     He smiled. “So you’re only doing your duty as a nurse? You could care less about me?”
     “Well, I am here to service people. It’s my job. Besides, you’re the one who is paying me, aren’t you? You made it clear that although I work for your grandmother, the money comes from you.”
     “Well, if you’re here to do your duty, then why don’t you close the door and sit down. I’d like to talk to you.”   
     She walked to close the door and came back to stand where she was before. He was about to sit when he saw that she was still standing. He laughed and gestured for her to sit.
     “It’s ok. I plan on leaving soon,” she said.
     Jedidiah sat down. “Suit yourself.”
     “What is it you want?”
     “I just wanted to thank you properly for what you did last night. I’m sure it was out of your way. But I wanted to ask you one thing. Did you do it out of duty or did you do it out of the kindness of your own heart?”
     She sighed, obviously annoyed. “Look, I’m a nurse. My passion is to help people. You were in need of helping. I did what I could. If I did anything wrong or not enough, I’m sorry.”
     She turned to go and he stood up, suddenly realizing she must have seen the necklace. “Did you find something not to your liking?”
     Anna turned back around. “I did. But I think you and I both know what that is.”
     He smiled. “Would you like it back?”
     “Why would I? You’ve been wearing it all these years. It’s practically yours now more than it is mine. Besides, if you returned it, it would be given with vengeance and I don’t want that.”
     He walked around the desk and stuck his hands in his pockets. “I wear it to remind me of the life you took from me. I wear it so I am reminded of how much I hate you. Just because you took care of me last night, it doesn’t erase the pain you created. One good deed doesn’t erase a bad one.”
     “I’ll remember that the next time you’re thrashing on the ground asking for help. Perhaps next time I’ll let you go into a seizure and just watch as you struggle to breathe.”
     He grabbed her arm, pinching her skin. “I’d rather die than have you help me. Did it ever occur to you that I meant to hit you?”
     She smiled and pulled her arm free. “Really? Well, you have pretty bad aim.”
 
     The sun had begun to set as Anna got ready for her date with Thomas. She’d been debating what to wear because she wasn’t sure where he was taking her. But in the end she settled for the black dress she’d bought a few years ago. It was casual and formal at the same time. She pinned her hair up, put on some light makeup, and grabbed a red shawl to wrap around her shoulders. As she came down the stairs, Rose was sitting in front of the TV knitting with Judy next to her reading a magazine. Rose looked up, paused, and then set her knitting down.
     “You look beautiful, my dear. Where are you going?” Rose asked.
     “Thomas is taking me out tonight. I forgot to ask you if it was alright?”
     Rose smiled. “Of course it is! You’re both young and single. Why not take advantage of it? Where is he taking you?”
     “I have no idea, actually.”
     “He’s a great man. His father is very proud of him. I’m just sad I don’t have any granddaughters to nab him.”
     Anna laughed. “He’s a very handsome man.”
     “I don’t argue with that,” she agreed.
     The doorbell rang and Anna excused herself to open it. But instead of Thomas, she found a tall, slender woman wearing a yellow summer dress with dark brown hair standing before her. She was pretty with her nails and lips painted red.
     “Hello,” Anna said.
     She nodded at her and then walked in. She walked straight to Rose, who was stunned at her arrival. “Hi Rose!”
     “Oh, hello Vivi!”
     “I was dropping off some friends who lived close by here and thought I’d visit you. Is Jedidah home?” she asked sweetly.
     Rose smiled. “Are you sure you’re not here to visit Jedidiah?”
     Laughing, she replied, “Well, maybe a little of him too.”
     Rose looked at Anna. “This is Vivi, a friend of Jedidiah’s. Vivi, this is Anna, she’s my nurse.”
     Vivi turned to glance at her and then returned her attention to Rose again. “So…where is he?”
     Anna was about to close the door when she saw Thomas’ car driving up. She waited as he approached the house wearing a black button down shirt with a pair of khakis. Good, she thought, he was casual too. He smiled when he approached her and then reached out to take her hand, bringing her knuckles to his lips.
     “Good evening Anna. How was your day?” he asked.
     She smiled. “It was fine. And how about you?”
     “I’m off duty, which is great,” he said.
     “Come on in.”
     He walked in and Vivi stood up, brushing the front of her dress down. He smiled at her and then walked to kneel down in front of Rose.
     “And how are you?” he asked.
     “I am doing super. I just took the new pills you gave me and they are working just fine. Anna has adjusted my diet to an all organic menu and it seems to help me out.”
     Thomas turned to her. “You’re a super star.”
     Blushing, Anna replied, “Well, anything to help her.”
     “Where are you going tonight?” Vivi asked.
     He turned to her. “Anna and I are heading out.”
     “Oh, where to?”
     Before he could answer, Jedidiah walked through the door and gave Anna a hard glare. The two men exchanged hellos and shook hands. Then he walked over to where Vivi stood and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Thomas walked to her and put his hand on the small of her back.
     “Are you ready?” he asked.
     “Yes, I am.”
     “Where are you two going?” Jedidiah asked.
     Thomas turned toward him. “I’m taking Anna out. We’ll be back later.”
    
     “You make being a doctor so easy,” Anna said as they walked along the St. Croix River.
     They had dinner at Acapulco and because the night was young, Thomas suggested they take a stroll. The evening air was balmy, and Anna felt at peace. She hadn’t had a good night where she enjoyed herself for a long time. Between losing her mother and knowing her father had been suffering silently, she’d sent herself into a corner where no one could reach her. Tonight, Thomas was able to bring her back out with his genuine smile and thoughtfulness.
     Thomas smiled. “You don’t know the half of it. There are days where I am so full of black coffee that I shriek at the thought of a door closing.”
     Laughing, she replied, “Are all of your family members doctors?”
     “The only two doctors are me and my dad. My sister works in law and my mother was a seamstress until she retired. We’re all over the place.”
     “What made you want to be a doctor?”
     “I saw my father save a man when I was eight years old. A car was being chased by a cop and the driver ignored the red light. He hit a pedestrian crossing the street. My father and I were eating at the cafĂ© across the street. He ran out and saved the man from bleeding to death. I wanted the same reward because I wanted to feel that I had the power to save someone.”
     Anna felt touched and reached over to hold his hand. He smiled and tightened the grip on her hand. They walked down the river and then Thomas pointed to a bench. They walked to sit down and he put his arm around her shoulder.
     “I’m glad you agreed to come out with me tonight,” he said.
     “Thank you for taking me out. It’s been a while since I’ve had a night like this.”
     “I am glad I could take your mind off of things. But please don’t let this turn into a one night thing. I’d like to see you again.”
     Smiling, Anna said, “Sure.”
 
     It was past midnight when Anna walked in the door. She was met with silence as she closed the door. She turned on the living room lights and walked to the kitchen. She opened the fridge and pulled out some chicken breasts to defrost in the sink to cook for Rose. As she reached into the fridge for a water bottle, she heard a loud clatter from the den. She stopped and listened. There was silence. She closed the door and set her purse on the counter. She walked to the den and found it to be empty. The patio door, however, was wide opened. She walked to close it and found a pair of legs sticking out from behind the couch. She bent over and found Jedidiah lying on the ground, dead asleep holding onto a pillow. When she eyed the empty Grey Goose bottle next to him, she shook her head.
     Anna picked up the bottle and set it aside. She walked to where he lay and pulled the pillow free. He was snoring loudly as she got up to clear off the couch. She set the pillows aside and pulled the coffee table aside so she could pull his body to the couch.
     “Anna?”
     She turned when she heard Rose’s voice. “Hi Rose. Jedidiah is drunk.”
     “I figured. He was pounding the piano earlier.”
     “I thought he didn’t play?”
     “He doesn’t, but when he’s drunk, he thinks he does. I’m not sure what happened tonight between him and Vivi, but she left in anger and he took the bottle as soon as she was gone.”
     Anna stared at Jedidiah and then turned back to Rose. “Are they together?”
     “No, they’re just friends. But Vivi was someone I thought would fit Jedidiah’s life. He doesn’t think so and the story goes on.”
     “Oh. Well, you go on back to bed. I’ll come up as soon as I settle him.”
     “Thank you so much.”
     “Don’t worry about it.”
     She waited until Rose was gone before she went back to pull on Jedidiah’s legs. He was a lot stronger and heavier than she thought. She was out of breath when she dragged him out behind the couch. She felt her arms sting and she sighed deeply. She gave up, grabbed a pillow, and put it beneath his head. He burped and the smell made her turn away.
     “Oh God,” she whispered.
     Anna walked to the linen closet upstairs and grabbed a blanket. But when she returned, Jedidiah was gone. Frowning, she looked around the den and set the blanket aside.
     “Jedidiah?” she called out.
     Afraid he might fall and hurt himself she walked to the living room and found it empty. She came back to the den and saw the patio door had opened. She walked to the door and peered outside. It was empty. She cocked her head out to see if he was out somewhere when an arm grabbed her waist and pulled her in. She shrieked as a hand came to cover her mouth. She gasped when her back hit the wall and she looked into the eyes of Jedidiah. He was standing before her, his shirt undone, and his eyes were misty, unfocused. She ripped his hand from her mouth.
     “What are you doing? Go lie down before you hurt yourself!” she cried.
     He stumbled backward and she reached out to catch him. They fell together with her on top and her lips slammed against his when they hit the ground. To her surprise, he returned the kiss and pried her mouth open by biting her lower lip. When she did, he entered his tongue and groaned loudly in her mouth. She brought up her hands to push him back and he grabbed them, pulling them back.
     “Don’t fight me,” he slurred.
     “Let me go!” she cried.
     It was no use. He was drunk and was stronger than when he was sober. She sunk her teeth into his skin and he howled as he tore his lips from hers. She got up and tried to run when he grabbed the hem of her dress. It ripped and the bottom half came off, revealing her lacy black undies. She saw the desire in his eyes brightened and she let out a scream as he reached for her. She kicked his hands away and grabbed the blanket to cover herself. She made it to the door before he grabbed her and threw her on the couch.
     “Don’t fight me,” he said again.
     “Jedidiah, if you don’t get off of me, I’ll bite you again. This time I promise I’ll draw blood.”
     He laughed. “Wicked little girl.”
     When he didn’t move, she bit his arm and he cursed. He moved just enough for her to get up. She ran from him, tripped over his legs, and slammed her head into the coffee table. Her world spun as she tried to focus on what was before her. Pain swallowed her up and she felt as if she was high on acid. She felt him grab her by the upper arm. Too hurt to fight back, he tossed her on the couch and positioned himself for thrusting when he fell over her, unconscious. She groaned and pushed him off; his body fell into a heap on the ground and she sighed deeply. Her world was still spinning as she tried to stop the throbbing from her head. Jedidiah lay unmoving on the ground as she crawled around him to the other side. She stared at him and realized she should just leave him the way he was. With a huge headache, she slowly climbed up the stairs and when in the safety of her room, she cursed him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab