Mist & Fog 1


            Looking in the mirror, I smoothed down the front of my black pencil skirt and fluffed my pink blouse. The black pumps I wore made my legs look longer, which was my intention because I stood just a little over five feet inches tall. My thick wavy hair was pinned up in a bun which controlled the waves. Staring in the mirror, I didn’t believe that my 30th birthday was just around the corner. Had it been that long since college graduation? Apparently, it had whipped by without me even noticing.

            I checked my watch and realized I had to go. I grabbed my purse, walked outside, and locked the door. My black Honda sat in the driveway looking like a million bucks. Ok, a million bucks because it was bought and paid for. It sounded like a train that was dying, but it was mine. I got in, turned her on, and roared the car to life.

            Working as head assistant to one of the most prominent marketing companies was an enjoyable job. It allowed me to use my creativity and voice when I wanted to. I didn’t have to worry about being boxed in or limit myself. For the past six years, I’d been head assistant to my boss, Gary Owens, a once divorced man who allowed me the freedom to do what I pleased. When I first started, Gary showed interest in me…a lot. But after putting my foot down, he gave up and gave me the space I wanted and desired. Every once and a while, he would still ask me out to dinner, but aside from that, we had a professional relationship.

            I parked my car in front of the tall building and walked in, showing the security at the front my badge. I pressed the elevator and entered when the doors opened. I got in and pressed the tenth floor. As it rode up, I stared at my nails noticing that one of my nails was longer than the others. Shaking my head, I made a mental note to visit the manicurist before the week was over. The doors opened and I saw a man dressed in a black suit with his back turned toward me and my boss’ voice saying, “There she is.” As I stepped out, the man in the black suit turned around and I almost slipped on the ground. He was the most amazingly handsome man I’d ever laid eyes upon. I felt my throat dry up and every part of me respond to his smile. His hair was as dark as night and his eyes were as blue as the ocean. He smiled and I felt as if I was walking on air. His broad shoulders, his chiseled chin, his square jaw, every part of him made the woman in me want to groan.

            “Natasha, come here. I’d like you to meet someone,” Gary said.

            But Gary’s voice had drowned out and all I heard was the sound of my heart beating, slamming against my ribs. My head was spinning, my mouth was watering at the sight of his lips, and the part most intimate of me was responding with a pulse so hard I felt the earth shake. Stumbling over, making sure I didn’t slip on the heels I wore, I walked over.

            “Hello,” he said in a slow, seductive tone. “Natasha?”

            The way how he said my name made me melt into pieces. “Yeah.”

            He took my hand. “Natasha, it’s great to meet you. I look forward to working with you.”

            I nodded and turned four shades of red. I noticed Gary’s expression and cleared my throat, stepping back. I needed some air. I turned around and headed toward my office as Gary and the man continued talking. Only when I reached my office did I realize I didn’t know his name. I turned around and found Gary and him heading toward my office. Gary was talking to him about something, but from the look in the man’s eyes, I could tell he wasn’t interested at all because his eyes were locked onto mine. I felt my world go round and I held onto the door.

            “Natasha, could you give Broderick a copy of the customer report from Tank Merchandising?” Gary asked.

            I nodded and then froze. Broderick? I turned around and saw the light in his eyes. I felt my heart stop beating and when he smiled at me again, all of it came rushing past me. I gasped and Gary turned toward me with shock.

            “Are you ok?” Gary asked.

            I ignored Gary. “Broderick? Broderick Dell?”

            He laughed and stuck his hands in his pockets. “I was wondering when you’d realize it was me. Nice to find that you still remember me.”

            Gary looked at the two of us. “Did I miss something here?”

            I glanced at Gary. “I uh…went to high school with Broderick.” Only back then, he didn’t look like this.

            “Oh. Well, the customer copy?”
            “Right!” I said as I reached for it and handed it to him. They walked off and I stared after them watching them discuss business. But when Broderick turned around to wink at me, I felt the same fluttering in my belly.

            I worked through lunch something I’d never done before. At the end of the day, I felt drained. Turning off the lights in my office, I walked out of the office to find Broderick leaning against my car. He looked nothing like he did in high school. Gone was the geeky haircut, the glasses that were too big for his face, his bony body and lanky shoulders. He was proportioned with big shoulders, muscles that seemed to budge even under his suit. He also grew another foot and put on more weight. There was nothing geeky about this man at all.

            “You done for the day?” he asked.

            “Please don’t tell me you’ve been waiting for me all day out here?”

            “No, of course not. Are you done?”

            “I’ve got someone I’m meeting,” I lied, which I didn’t know why.

            He touched his heart, as if he was hurt. “Oh, and here I thought I was your friend.”

            “You lacked to tell me who you were.”

            “I recognized you the moment I saw you, Natasha. I could never forget you. You haven’t changed a bit. Maybe you’ve filled out a bit, but in a good way. Please, let me take you to dinner.”

            “No, I’m sorry. I don’t date clients. It’s a rule here.”

            “Who says I’m a client?”

            I laughed. “Gary has already established that, hasn’t he?”

            He smiled and walked forward to me. “Did it ever occur to you that perhaps Gary is my client?”

            No, it hadn’t, but I remained silent as he stared at me. Then he walked around behind me and lowered himself to my ear. I could feel his breath on me; the power of it sent my pulse into a frantic haze. He was so close to me and I could feel every part of him. Then he slid his hand up to the small of my back and let it rest there.

            “Come on, Natasha, it’s been a very long time. I’m being very nice here. I promise I won’t bite you…not unless you ask me to and believe me, I’m a very good biter,” he whispered.

            My eyes popped open and I whipped around to face him. “How dare you speak that way to me? I find it offensive.”

            He smiled. “Do you? Because according to your heart rate, you’re getting turned on.”

            I felt as if he smacked me. How could he tell it was turning me on? He leaned in even closer to me and whispered into my ear.

            “I can feel your heart beating, loudly, as I stand next to you. Your breath is coming in raspy and every inch of you is sweating. You’re wondering how it is that I know all of this and it’s because all I need to do is touch you…here,” he said as he laid a hand on my back. “And you already shiver as if I’ve made love to you.”

            I gasped. “You think that now you look like this, you can be cocky and tell me things like that? For your information, I’ve already got someone waiting for me, who is the by the way, twice the man you are.”

            He laughed. “Oh, Natasha, did that lie hurt you more than you expected? You and I both know there is no one at home waiting for you.”

            I gulped and watched as his eyes turned dark and misty. “But I can change that for you. I’m not the same lanky guy I was in high school. Aside from the looks, I’ve got something else that you will be yearning for.”

            “And what is that?”

            He leaned in closer to me until I could smell his cologne. “A tango where no clothes are required.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab