Ultimate Summer Concert featuring Spencer Quan Jai FanPheng







It started with a message from my good friend Sheng Yang of NSY Entertainment. She messaged me about a few months back saying, "Honey, I'm putting together a concert for the July 4th festival gettogether. Will you help me make it happen? Will you be my emcee?" I agreed even though I was a bit nervous because I have no experience whatsoever being an emcee hahaha. But she's my friend and I agreed to help her out. We began messaging each other back and forth about who can help do what and the connections we each had. I was excited to help her make it happen. 

She explained about it being a new wave concert, 80's music, going back in time. I thought, perfect! I'm  an old soul at heart and I love the music I grew up with. You can't find that anywhere these days. So I just couldn't wait until the day came. She put together a message thread and it included all the artists who would be performing and to better prepare myself, I looked up Spencer Quan Jai FanPheng on Youtube and fell in love with his voice. It's so soothing, so seductive and pulls your heartstrings. I couldn't wait to meet him. 

I got a first chance to talk to him through a LIVE interview (which didn't go as planned due to bad connection, on my end) but I got to learn a bit about him. He came from a large family. He was descendant of both Thai and Lao but grew up in the US. He resides in the outskirts of Atlanta, GA. One of his favorite past times is reflecting on the moments of singing with his musically gifted family. 

In September of 2012, Spencer launched his solo album and released his first hit single, "Flames of Love," and "Jow Lem Lao Bau." It was a super hit among the Lao community across the US. And in the same year, "Flames of Love" was awarded the winner for audience choice award. Volumes 2, 3, and 4 came out in 2013, 2014, and 2015. And in 2016, he released the first album of Loog Thoong. He is currently working on 3 projects; Laos new wave volume 5, Lao Loog Thung Traditional music volume 1 and freestyle music as an engaging actor.

The night of the event arrived and we were told to be there an hour early. So as I dressed and was preparing to go, I was so excited. I couldn't wait to meet him. When I arrived at Hmong House, Spencer was rehearsing. As I walked in, he waved to me and I just melted by the sound of his voice. It was so soothing and so elegant. And when he extended his hand and said to me, "Sister, it's so nice to meet you," I knew right away that this man would wow the crowd the tonight. 

But Spencer wasn't the only shining star of the night. We had many other talented guests including Pathoumma Tina Latree, traditional and old folk singer; Touchong Yang, musical Hmong keyboard and singer; Alex Phongsisattanak, keyboard and singer; Ling Li from China who at 17 years old placed first in a singing competition; 90's hit singer Billy Xiong; and last but not least Wang FeiHong, hit international actor from China. These super stars lit Hmong House's floor on fire. 

I was so honored to have been a part of this event. As I look back at the photos and live the moment, I am so glad that I got to be there to catch the many musical styles of each artist. Music is a universal language that can seduce anyone's heart. It doesn't pick and choose who to love. It's open to all and loves openly. All you have to do is listen. 

Check out Spencer's hit song "Flames of Love" here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab