Piquant Chapter 2





If I thought getting caught sneaking out was bad, I was way wrong. The silent man driving the car made my skin crawl in ways I couldn’t describe. My insides were all jostled up and my brain was trying to figure out why I was being secretly whipped away. Did I win a million bucks? Get real, Peyton. The windows were tinted from the inside and I had no idea where I was going. I wasn’t even allowed to bring anything. I had no phone, no money, and if they were to kill me, my mother would never find out. Fear escalated through me and I began to shake. This wasn’t a film. This was real. I was being kidnapped.
     “Hey! If you don’t stop this car, I’ll…I’ll call the police!” I screamed.
     The man pretended as if he hadn’t heard a word. He continued driving and then suddenly we stopped. He got out and opened my car door. There was a tall white building before me and as I pondered how I was going to escape, he yanked me out and dragged me to the front door.
     “Hey! Easy on the hands!” I cried.
     “We’re late.”
     “Late for what?”
     He didn’t answer as he grabbed my arm and we walked up the stairs. Inside, there was a receptionist eyeing me with an unfriendly glare. The man took out his badge and scanned it against the machine. The buzzer came on and the door opened. He walked me to the elevator and we got in. He pushed the top floor and we rode up. Ironically, no one else got on and we were on the fifteenth floor in no time. When the doors opened, he took my arm again and we walked toward a room with French doors. He opened it and as we did, the first set of eyes I saw belonged to Garrison. He was sitting in a chair with an older gentleman who had the same features as he did to his left. Garrison was dressed in a neat black tux with his hair done with care. The older man beside him wore a white suit that had been pressed and starched to perfection. He had the same eyes as Garrison and he was now gazing at me. The room held four other men who were wearing black suits. They were each tall and slender built with dark hair. But they were staring at me as if I had murdered someone. My throat was dry and I was scared.
     “Miss Jones, will you take a seat, please?” the man on the far left said. I couldn’t move. The man who had driven me in pulled out a chair and pushed me into it. When I had sat down, I ignored all their eyes and I could feel Garrison’s eyes on me.
     “Miss Jones, I’m national security Ben Stone,” the same man said again. “I suppose you must be wondering why you’re here.”
     I finally looked up at the man who spoke. He was staring at me with a deep gaze that burned to my soul. “Yes. Have I done something wrong?”
     Ben sighed and stood up. He looked over at Garrison and then returned his gaze to me. “Miss Jones, do you know this man?”
     I ignored looking at him. “Yes, I do. His name is Garrison.”
     “Is that all he told you?”
     I frowned and finally shifted my gaze to Garrison. He was quiet and staring at his hands. I turned my attention to Ben. “Yes, that’s all he said.”
     “He didn’t mention anything about a secret document being signed with the United States?”
     I laughed. “Is this a joke?”
     Ben didn’t find that funny. “You’re here on serious charges. I suggest you quit the comedy.”
     That got me to shut up. “Mr. Stone, I’m sorry, but I seem to be running around in circles trying to figure out what is going on here. I’m really confused. I have no idea what is going on. Can you please explain to me why I was yanked from my home and brought here? And what are the serious charges I’ve been charged with?”
     Ben crossed his arms. “Miss Jones, you really have no idea, do you?”
     I shook my head.
     He reached for the manila envelope and pushed it across the table to me. With shaking hands, I took it out and gasped loudly. It was the same photos that were printed in the tabloids, but these were the clear 8 by 10 colored copies. It showed Garrison and I locked in a loving making position. Embarrassment burned me and I turned the photos over; my cheeks flushing and my breath short.
     “Who is responsible for these?” I asked.
     Ben cleared his throat. “Do you have any idea who you had a fling with?”
     I turned to look at Garrison who was now staring directly at me. His jaws were moving and I was petrified of the answer. I swallowed and shook my head slowly.
     “Miss Jones,” he said getting my attention. “The man you’re looking at right now, the man you were having an affair with, is the Duke of England’s noble heir.”
     I saw flashes of red and a sob escaped from me. I turned to look at Ben and tears filled my eyes. My hands were shaking as I leaned back in my chair trying to regain control of my emotions. A noble heir to England? I shut my eyes and a tear squeezed through.
     “I need you to pay attention, Miss Jones. I need to know if he discussed anything confidential with you.”
     “It’s enough,” a deep voice interrupted.
     I opened my eyes and saw the man sitting beside Garrison looking at me. He turned to Ben. “Why don’t you give the girl a break and ask my son what it is you want to know.”
     Ben nodded. “Ok.”
     Garrison smiled. “Why don’t I spare you the trouble and just tell you what happened?”
     “That would be wonderful,” Ben said.
     Garrison turned to look at me. “It’s true what she said. She had no idea who I was. I made sure of it. I kept my background out of the conversation.” Then he turned to Ben. “She doesn’t know of any desire of the US wanting to do business with England.”
     “What did you talk about?” Ben asked.
     Garrison crossed his arms. “You’ve seen the photos, Mr. Stone. Do you think we did any talking?”
     Ben turned red and sighed. “I can’t let her go without a clear conscience. She remains a threat to the US about destroying a treaty with England. She’s likely to know details she shouldn’t.”
     “Let me talk to her for a moment, Mr. Stone. I’m sure that she’s been shocked beyond anything.”
     “Do as my son asks,” the older man said.
     Ben sighed. “The room across the hall…fifteen minutes.”
     Garrison stood up and walked to me extending a hand. I stared at it for a moment and when I didn’t reach out, he grabbed my arm and dragged me out.

     As soon as the door across the hall was shut, I turned around and glared at him. He was too good to be true. He had the accent, the look, the power. I should have known. Tears stung me as I realized I’d been misled again. When he tried to reach for me, I pulled away from him.
     “Don’t touch me,” I snarled.
     He laughed. “Don’t touch you? Honey, we’ve got a lot of touching up to do. I’ll get back to the flimsy note you left me in a bit here, but first, I want to know if you’re all right.”
     I laughed. “Am I all right? What do you think? I just found out that the man I laid with is the noble heir to England! You lied to me!”
     He stepped forward. “I didn’t lie. I said I was on vacation to get a change of scenery. That was the truth.”
     “You didn’t tell me you were noble! Now I find photos of us plastered all over the tabloids and they’re in there grilling me about some goddamn US break of confidentiality code. What am I going to do?”
     “Oh, sweetheart, it’s real simple what you have to do. There’s a way to make all this go away without another peep of scandal to your name.”
     I frowned. “How?”
     Garrison smiled wickedly and looked me up and down. “Marry me.”
     My eyes flew open and I gasped. “Did you just propose?”
     He nodded. “Yes, I did. My father can get rid of this with a snap of his fingers. He can get it all erased without a moment’s thought. But if you don’t marry me, that Mr. Stone in there will make sure no job hires you for the rest of your life.”
     The thought scared me to the bones. No job, no money, no life. Fear began to hit hard. But marrying Garrison wasn’t the answer. He didn’t love me. Look what being married to Jake had done.
     “I can’t marry you. You don’t even love me,” I whispered.
     “It can be a marriage of convenience. After this dies down, we can go our separate ways. Trust me, Peyton, if you don’t marry me, this battle will not be over. They’ll make sure you fry for it and do it in public. But with me, you’ll be protected.”
     I started to shake and he reached for me. When I tried to pull away, he yanked me to him. His eyes told me the truth of what they could do to me, to my life. If I didn’t marry him, I would be on the streets for screwing with the government. They would make sure I paid for what I did. But if they considered it a romance, a true romance where he was going to wed me, it might just work. I may just be saved.
     “What do you say?” he asked.

     When we returned, Garrison sat down next to me and looked at Ben in the eyes. I could tell the men were impatiently waiting for us to speak. The envelope that held our photos was underneath Ben’s hands. I wondered how many times he’d seen them. It made me shiver and Garrison reached over for my hand. The motion caused Ben to stand straighter.
     “Mr. Stone, you can rest assured that everything is going to be all right. You see, Miss Jones and I needed to get something out of the way,” Garrison said.
     “What is that?”
     “Her answer to my proposal.”
     Ben frowned. “What?”
     “We met, fell in love, and are going to be married. Whatever I discussed with her is now the private affair of our life. She’s now a noble heir to England.”
     Ben’s face paled and he stared at Garrison’s father. “Mr. Remington, you can’t believe this for a second.”
     Garrison’s father turned and stared at me. Then a smile spread across his face. “Why would I not? The woman is beautiful and my son is a lucky man. I think this meeting is over, gentlemen. If you have any other questions, direct them to me. If you should bother her again, note that I will withdraw all my funds from the US grounds.”
     Garrison stood and helped me up. That’s it? I watched as Garrison’s father took the envelope from Ben’s hand and walked out. Garrison took my hand and led me out as the men stared at me with anger. As soon as we made it out of the room, I burst into tears and was drawn into Garrison’s arms. I felt his hand touch my back and already I felt the comfort I needed.
     “Take her back to the hotel. I’ll meet with you two later,” his father said as he left.

     The hotel where Garrison was staying at was in downtown in the penthouse where I would never be able to enter if I didn’t have him. It looked like the size of my house. I felt strange as I tried to find some sort of comfort being among his territory.
     “I ordered room service. It should be here soon. You must be famished,” he said.
     “I need to call my mother. She’ll be worried sick. They took me this morning without letting me take anything with me.”
     He smiled as he took off his jacket. “The phone is there. I’ll give you a moment.”
     He walked off and I sat down reaching for the phone. I dialed and it rang once before my mother’s voice came on. I burst into tears. “Mom!”
     “Oh my God, Peyton! Are you all right?”
     I sobbed hard and swallowed. “I don’t know.”
     “Where are you?”
     “I’m…I’m with Garrison.”
     There was a pause. “Garrison? What’s he doing there?”
     When I got my emotions under control, I told her the story. She listened quietly and when I was done, she laughed. “I told you he was a winner.”
     “Mother!” I cried as anger shot through me. “I’m in deep shit and all you have to say is that?”
     “What do you want me to say?”
     “I don’t know. How about a little sympathy?”
     “Sympathies are for the dying. You’re not dying. You’re getting yourself hitched to a handsome God.”
     “Good-bye mother.” I slammed the phone and rubbed my head. That went well. I sighed and stood up walking to the window. The top floor was always a sight to see. I barely got to be in top floors. Being married to Jake meant being stuck inside on the bottom.
     “You left me,” Garrison said.
     I turned around as he entered wearing just a tshirt and his black pants. I backed up until I hit the window and all senses in me disappeared. He walked toward me slowly and his dark eyes roamed over me. Flashes of what he could do with those hands entered my mind and I tried to control my urge to fling myself at him.
     “I came to your bungalow and you were gone. You left a little note saying nothing about where to find you. We’re going to talk about that,” he whispered.
     I cleared my throat. “It doesn’t matter, Garrison. You found me in the end.”
     “Yes, and I’m going to make you mine.”
     I shook my head. “I’m having second thoughts on this whole marriage thing. I want out.”
     He reached me and grabbed my arm. “You’re not listening to me, sweetheart. You’re mine. You’re not going anywhere. Wherever you go, I’ll be right beside you.”
     “We’re not married yet!”
     He laughed. “Sweetheart, after what we did, you’re as good as my wife.”
     I felt my cheeks blush. Clearing my throat, I crossed my arms. “Still, I can refuse you.”
     Garrison smiled and released me. “You think I’d let you refuse me once we’re married? You’re going to be my wife and I’ll do what I will.”
     “You’d force me?”
     “You’d refuse me?”
     I didn’t answer him as his eyes sparkled. Turning away, I ran my hands through my hair. “This isn’t right. We have no love in this relationship. With Jake—“
     “Jake?”
     I turned around to face him. “If we’re going to be in this for real, I suggest we start by being honest with each other.”
     “All right. Begin with Jake.”
     “Jake is my ex-husband. I saw him in Jamaica…with a pregnant woman. We’d been divorced only a month, which means, he was cheating on me.”
     Garrison walked to me and let out a soft breath. “I’m sorry.”
     “Your turn.”
     “What do you want to know?”
     “Who took those photos?”
     “Some asshole who will now be scrubbing toilet seats for the rest of his life. I told you the truth. My father will make sure of your safety.”
     The thought of those photos made me sit down. “I hate those photos. I can’t believe they made the front cover.”
     “Don’t worry. Those tabloids are now dead and gone.”
     I shot my head up. “How do you know?”
     “I was just on the phone with my father while you were talking to your mother. My father has it taken care of. He’s also set up an appointment for us to meet with the judge this afternoon. As soon as we’re married, we can go meet with my father.”
     The sudden news made me stand up quickly. “Wait. We’re getting married this afternoon?”
     He nodded. “Yes. I’ve already ordered a dress for you.”
     “How do you know my size?”
     Garrison smiled and his eyes roamed over me. “Honey, I’d say I know a lot more than just your body size.”
     “I can’t marry you this afternoon!”
     Garrison took my hand. “Peyton, I know this is very sudden. But to protect you, you have to become my wife. The sooner, the better and I can rest assure that you won’t become a target for anyone. If they know that you’re married to me, they’ll turn away. Like I told you, I have very powerful resources that can eliminate anyone who is a threat to the people I care about.”
     “You care about me?”
     “Yes, I do.”
     “Marriage is a long shot. I’ve been married. I know what it’s like to be tied to someone who doesn’t love you. I don’t want you hating me in the long run. I don’t want to be a regret to anyone.”
     He laughed and walked to me. He reached out a finger and caressed my cheek. Then he bent down and captured my lips quickly. “I think being married to you would be my greatest achievement.”
     An hour later, I was staring at myself in the mirror trying to get myself to be brave. Garrison had dropped me off at home and the dress he ordered came shortly afterward. My mother had run upstairs with a huge smile bearing it as if it was gold. I felt sick to my stomach and I wasn’t able to move past the thought of being married again. I was supposed to be married to Garrison at city hall in a little over an hour and I was beginning to lose my nerves. I couldn’t do this. I couldn’t marry a man I barely knew. I didn’t want to be stuck in a marriage like I did with Jake for another 15 years.
     “Peyton?” my mother’s voice came from outside the bathroom door.
     I opened it and stared at her. “I can’t do this.”
     She came in and hugged me. “Honey, you can do this. Think of this as a way for a new start. You have to understand that if you don’t do this, your life as you know it will be over. You’ll be turned away from every job you go. You need this. It won’t be so bad, you’ll see.”
     “But I’m scared it’ll be like it was with Jake.”
     She pulled away. “One thing you need to know. Garrison is no Jake. That man is will bend over backwards to see you’re pleased. He will make sure you’re safe.”
     Tears slipped down my cheeks. “I’m so scared. What did I get myself into?”
     “It wasn’t your fault. You both were single and had a great time together. Yes, he didn’t tell you exactly who he was, but now that you know, let it sink it and move on.”
     I wiped my eyes and stared at myself in the mirror. Was I noble material? Was I able to carry on a title worthy of such? And what if I was a disappointment to his father? There were so many things I needed to know and make sure before this went through. But Garrison had assured me that all would be answered in due time, which meant, after we were husband and wife. Then I thought back to how Ben Stone had threatened me and what my life would be like if I didn’t go through with this. I had no choice. The tabloids enough almost killed me. Looking at my image, I sighed and swallowed hard. I could do this.
     I wasn’t expecting a limo. But I got one. Garrison arrived exactly on time. I was nervous as I heard my mother make small talk with him in the living room. I was wearing the dress he bought. It was an ivory colored lace dress with an off the shoulder style. It was simple, but elegant. He also sent pearl earrings and a necklace to go with. I tugged on the dress one more time and then came out of my room. I heard my mother’s giggles as I descended down the stairs. The first thing that came into view was my husband to be. He was dressed in a black suit with a red tie. His dark hair was brushed back neatly and his tanned skin glowed. The moment his eyes met mine, I stopped breathing. How was it possible that he could do that to me? I barely knew him. A smile formed on his face as he walked around my mother and came to stand at the foot of the stairs. He extended his hand out and I took it. When I came down the stairs, he pulled me to him and his eyes looked me over.   
     “Sweetheart, you have made me the happiest man alive.”
     His words sunk in and I blushed. “Thank you.”
     “Come on. The judge is waiting.”
    
     The judge, Honorable David Grate, was an older gentleman in his late fifties with soft blue eyes. He stood the same height as Garrison and I was speechless when the two conversed like old friends. He recited the sacred vows and it made my heart sink as I thought of when I had married Jake. It had meant something to me then and it meant something now. Although the difference was a big distance apart and I wasn’t sure if the vows meant anything to Garrison. But to my surprise, he pulled out a two carat diamond ring from his pocket and slipped it on my finger. He ran a finger over it and then pulled another gold band out. He handed it to me and I took it slipping it on his finger. When the judge gave us permission, he took my face and leaned down. He kissed me so gently that it felt like it was a whisper almost and not even a kiss. When he pulled away, our eyes met and the flutters I felt returned. My breath became shallow and uneven as I felt my heart race.
     “Congratulations!” the judge said breaking the tension. I silently thanked him and stepped away from my husband. Garrison shook hands with the judge and declined his offer to join him for dinner. We signed our papers and then we walked out.
     “This isn’t how I pictured our wedding,” Garrison said as we drove to meet his father at his hotel. “I’m sorry.”
     I looked away, suddenly feeling sad. “It’s all right. It’s not as if this is real.”
     He was quiet for a few moments. “But it would have been good to have given you a better wedding. Perhaps we can have another one once we’ve settled down.”
     A thought entered my mind. “Where would I live?”
     “Why, with me of course.”
     “I meant where as in the states?”
     Garrison smiled. “You can pick. I’ve got estates in England and here in the states. If you like, we can stay here so you can be closer to your mother. Although I’m sure my father will suggest we move to England to begin our affairs.”
     Frowning, I asked, “Affairs?”
     “Politics,” he said.
     “But I don’t know anything about politics.”
     “You don’t have to. All I need for you to do is to be beside me.”
     I looked out the window as we neared his hotel. The affairs he spoke didn’t ring any bells with me. I didn’t know how to be a noble wife. Was I supposed to act a certain way? I guess I would have to learn.
     When we entered his room, his father was sitting in a chair smoking a cigar. He had changed into a pair of black slacks and a white button down shirt. Garrison walked forward and shook hands with his father who stood. Then he turned to me and extended his hand.
     “Good evening, Peyton. I’m Andrew Jacob Howard Remington. It is my greatest pleasure to meet the woman my son calls his wife,” he said with the same accent Garrison had.
     “Thank you. The honor is mine.”
     He smiled. “Garrison, give us a moment. Head downstairs and get yourself a drink.”
     Garrison smiled and walked to kiss my cheek. “He doesn’t bite. I’ll be back.”
     When he left, I turned to find Andrew watching me. I swallowed and was thankful for the dress Garrison bought me. I looked like a noble wife, I hoped. He gestured for me to sit and he took the other seat across from me. He put out his cigar and crossed his legs at the ankle.
     “I knew something had changed him when I spoke to him on the phone,” Andrew began. “It’s not like Garrison to chase after a woman.”
     “So he says.”
     Andrew laughed. “So you know of his history of women?”
     I shook my head. “I don’t, actually. And in truth, I don’t care.”
     “You are a noble woman. Garrison spoke of a beauty who had tamed his heart. Apparently, you left him. He wanted me to flip the island upside down to find you.”
     This was news to me. I pretended it didn’t penetrate the deepest part of me. “It was a romantic fling on an exotic island. I’m sure once he’s cleared his head, he’ll get back on his feet.”
     “The women who I’ve seen him with don’t look like you.”
     “I’m sure they’re more exotic than me. I’m very plain.”
     Andrew shook his head. “No, you’ve misunderstood me. You’re so much more powerful in appearance than anyone I’ve seen before. It’s no question as to why he wanted you.”
     I blushed.
 He smiled. Then he leaned forward and touched his chin. “I’m glad he chose you. As to what we discussed before, the photos have been burned, the press notified of their mistake, and the person has been held accountable. None of this will leak out ever again and if it does, they’ll have me to answer to. And to answer your question, I have not seen them, the photos.”
I let out a breath. “Thank you for everything you’ve done. I can’t thank you enough.”
“Thank me by being a good wife to my son. He deserves happiness. I want you to visit England after you’ve settled down. I would like the staff to know you.”
I nodded. “It can be arranged.”
He stood up and walked to me. He gave me a soft kiss on the cheek. “It was lovely meeting you. I’ll send Garrison up.”

The water was hot and welcoming as I stood underneath the shower. After a long day, I needed this. I felt as if my world had been shattered and was now being pieced back together. I wasn’t sure where I was headed, but I wasn’t going to be scared of it. Jake had taught me a lot when he left. He taught me I could depend on myself. The ring glittered on my hand and a feeling of warmth crept across me. He was really a special man. If only he knew I loved him. He might have run if he had known. He said he cared about me, which was a whole other story. Would I fit into his life? Would I make a good noble wife?
Reaching over, I turned the water off and opened the door to find Garrison staring at me. Gasping, I shut the shower door and covered myself with my hands. How long had he been standing there?
“I’ve seen you naked before,” he said.
“I know, but I just…I wasn’t expecting to see you.”
He shoved the door open and smiled at me. “Hello wife. You look amazing. I have to say I love the way the water decorates your skin. But I much prefer if my hands were on you.”
I reached past him and grabbed the towel wrapping it around me. But he wrapped his arms around me before I could run off. I felt his nose run along my shoulder and neck making my knees weak. His fingers were tugging at the corners of the towel trying to loosen it. My mind flashed with red flags of warning. This marriage was one of convenience, so it meant I couldn’t perform the duties of a wife. I pried his fingers away and pulled away from him.
“We can’t make love.”
“Like bloody hell we can’t,” he whispered.
I put my hands up. “Look, this isn’t a real marriage. You and I are not in love. So if we want to do this for the sake of me not being scandalized in the public, we can’t consummate this.”
Garrison laughed. “We’ve already consummated our relationship, darling. I got all the paperwork done and now it’s time to close the deal. Come here.”
When he tried to reach for me, I pulled away. His eyes darkened and he stepped quickly toward me trapping me with his arms as he pulled me in. I needed him. I did. But I couldn’t let it cloud my thoughts.
“Garrison, please don’t do this. I need my head clear if I’m going to be making these decisions. You don’t love me. I’ve suffered enough with one loveless marriage. I can’t do another.”
His eyes softened and his grip loosened. “Do you honestly think I would be like your ex-husband?”
“I don’t know. Would you?”
He tilted my chin up. “No. As much as I want you, I’ll prove to you that I can do what you ask of me because I care. I promise I won’t touch you until you beg me to. And believe me darling, beg you shall.”
I swallowed hard, knowing he was telling the truth. I knew how my body responded to his touch. I knew how it would betray me. He smiled at me knowing what was going through my mind. He took one more look at me and walked out. I let out the breath I’d been holding and suddenly felt exhausted. This wasn’t going to be as easy as I had thought. I thought I could get away with just being his wife and not actually letting these feelings interfere. The first chance I get and I was already in deep trouble. I heard the door open again and his footsteps coming in. I straightened and tightened the towel. He appeared with a bag.
“I had some clothes sent for you. I doubt you’d want to wear the wedding dress on the ride home,” Garrison said.
I frowned. “But I haven’t packed yet.”
“I sent someone over to do all the packing. Your house will remain kept for by my people. Your mother can visit us when she likes.”
My throat went dry. “Will I get to say good-bye to my mother?”
“I’m sorry, darling, but not tonight. She’ll be visiting soon, I promise. Get dressed. We’ve a long drive ahead.”
“Where are we going?”
His eyes sparkled and he smiled. “We’re going home.”

Home turned out to be on a private jet where a large bed occupied the back. I was so exhausted when we reached the jet that when Garrison lifted me into his arms to carry me in, I didn’t fight. He brought me straight to the bedroom and set me down. He left to speak to the pilot and I felt the energy draining from me. I snuggled into the warm blankets and drifted off to sleep.
“Sweetheart, we’re here,” Garrison said as he kissed my temple.
I stirred and groaned. How long was I out? I forced my eyes open and realized we had landed. I sat up and he helped me stand. I felt the wave of dizziness hit me and I swayed. He caught me and held me as he tilted my chin up to look me in the eye.
“You all right?” he asked with deep concern.
Nodding, I replied, “Yes. I’m just tired. I think the jet ride got to me.”
“Here, let me help you.” Before I could object, he picked me up and carried me out to the car waiting for us. The driver opened the door and he set me in. I felt the nauseous hit me hard and I put my head down between my legs trying to control the urge to throw up. I heard Garrison speaking with the driver before getting in. Immediately I felt his hands on my shoulder, helping me sit up.
“Lean on me,” he said.
“I feel like I’ll vomit.”
“Then vomit on me.”
I laughed. “If this is your tactic to get laid, you’re not getting any.”
Garrison laughed. “You wound me, darling. I merely want to make you comfortable. The ride there is another hour.”
I groaned. “Where are we?”
“You’ll see. Close your eyes and get some rest. I’ll wake you when we arrive.”


The soft chirping of a bird woke me. I rubbed my eyes and felt a soft blanket against my skin. I pried my eyes open and realized I was sleeping inside a very large room. The bed was a large four poster with a thick sheep skin blanket and the fire was still burning. The room was the size of my house. I sat up and realized I was alone, but when I shifted to look beside me, I saw the mold of a body shape. Garrison had slept with me. I looked down and saw that I was wearing an ivory satin nightgown. I lifted the blanket and stood up looking for something to cover me when the door opened. I turned around and found Garrison walking in wearing a pair of blue sweats and nothing else. His body was dripping with sweat from exercise and his dark eyes were directed at me. I covered myself with my arms and he smiled as he ran his hand through his long hair.
“Good morning, wife. You look a fine sight,” Garrison said.
I cleared my throat. “Did you…you slept with me, didn’t you?”
He planted his hands on his hips. “Of course, I did. I undressed you too. I had to take three cold showers just because of that. You were out cold. Are you feeling better?”
I nodded. “Yes, I am. Thank you.”
He walked toward me and took my hand bringing it to his lips. “It was one of the most exceptional nights of my life, sleeping next to my bride. Although I didn’t really expect my wife to sleep a wink on her wedding night.”
I blushed as he continued smiling. I decided to change the subject. “Where’s my clothes?”
Apparently, it didn’t work. “I like you the way you look.”
I sighed and walked passed him only to be dragged into his arms. He turned me around and captured my lips. The kiss surprised me and he took it as an invitation. When his tongue entered my mouth, I brought up my hands to stop him. He took them by the wrists and held me tighter.
“Don’t fight, Peyton. You’re my wife.”
I softened against him. “I’m not trying to fight you. I know it won’t work. But I just…I’m still trying to get used to the idea of being married again. The first time didn’t work out. I’m scared of the results of this time.”
Garrison brushed his finger on my bottom lip. “I promise you that you don’t need to worry about that. Unlike Jake, I’m a man of my word. I keep my wife happy and safe. You can count on that to begin with. We’re not strangers, Peyton, darling. What we’ve already shared is deemed husband and wife in anyone’s eyes. I don’t want you to be scared about anything.”
I suddenly felt sad and tears entered my eyes. I looked away before he saw, but he tilted my chin up to look at me. I swallowed hard as a tear dropped. “I don’t want to hurt anymore.”
Garrison pulled me close and kissed me tenderly. “I’ll save you from it. I’ll show you what happiness is like. Just don’t fight me.”
I let out a soft breath as his fingers reached for the straps on the nightgown. I shuddered as he pulled it down and pulled me closer to him. His eyes told me the truth of what he wanted and how he felt. I knew that although love didn’t exist in him, something else did and it burned passionately for me. I would take it because I needed him more than I ever needed anyone.


     Four hours later, we finally emerged from the bedroom. I dressed in a soft purple maxi dress and Garrison had on a pair of black slacks and a sweater. Taking my hand, we went down the stairs that led to a large opening of the living room. The house was big and beautiful with top notch art designs and decorated with a chic look. There were large ten foot windows that let the light shine in. I needed a map just to find my way around. When we rounded the corner, an older plump woman with salt and pepper hair smiled at us. She was wearing a gray dress with a white apron.
     “Mrs. Potter, this is my wife, Peyton,” Garrison said.
     She smiled and took my hand. “I’m so pleased to meet you. If you need anything, let me know. Whatever food you desire, please inform me and I’ll have it for you.” She also had an accent.
     I smiled. “Thank you.”
     She looked at Garrison. “Lunch is ready for you two out on the terrace.”
     “Thank you.” 
     I smiled at her and Garrison led me out to the terrace where it was warm. I noticed he had a large amount of land where a few people were working the ground. He helped me sit down and took a seat across from me. The lunch Mrs. Potter prepared was steamed chicken breast with a variety of vegetables.
     “This looks great,” I said.
     “You must be famished.”
     I nodded and began eating. “Where are we?”
     Garrison took a sip of his wine. “We’re in England.”
     I almost dropped my fork. “What?”
     “Shireville, to be exact.”
     “I didn’t think you’d take me straight to England. I thought you said you had estates in the states as well.”
     “I do. But this is my real home. And I wanted you to see it. Besides, my father has requested that we do an actually wedding ceremony here. He wants society to know his son is now married to a beautiful woman.”
     “You don’t speak of your mother. Where is she?”
     Garrison shrugged. “I don’t know. She left my father when I was born. I haven’t seen her since.”
     “I’m sorry. It seems we have something in common.”
     Smiling, he replied, “We came from broken homes to piece together a full life.”
     I chewed and swallowed before speaking. “And the wedding? Will it take place here?”
     “It can. It’s up to you.”
     I laughed. “Garrison, to be honest, I don’t know the first thing about planning a wedding. My first one with Jake was a spur of the moment and his mother planned everything. I didn’t have any part in it.”
     He reached over and took my hand. “Then this will be yours and yours alone. Whatever you want, it’s yours. Name it and I’ll make it happen.”
     I stared at him and the fluttering appeared. I looked away and he caught my flushed cheeks. He chuckled and when I finally dared to look up at him, he was staring at me with those passionate eyes that seemed to stare right into my soul. He was watching me and I began to squirm. He leaned forward and took my hand.
     “Why are you resisting this feeling? Just say it out loud.”
     I swallowed hard. “I’m not afraid to say it, Garrison.”
     “Then say it.”
     I swallowed. “I want you.”


     When I was married to Jake, I never knew that love making could be so magical. It wasn’t that he was gentle, he was. But he made it seem like it was a routine, a deed he needed to do just because he was my husband. He made it seem like I was a duty. An object he needed to take care of because he had the title as my husband. With Garrison, it was…beyond anything I’d ever experienced. He always made sure I was with him in emotion and physical being. He never left me alone and the more passion I felt, the more I wanted. It was like I was an animal, not getting enough and being physically exhausted at the same time. But the honeymoon was about to end.
     I woke up alone. I hated waking up alone. I always slept in and Garrison was never there. He was an early riser and he would have put in five miles of running before I even stirred. Today was no different. I showered, dressed in a dark blue jumpsuit, and came down the stairs. I had put my hair in a low bun and applied some light makeup. I heard voices talking in the kitchen and I wandered over. The shape of a very exotic woman stood before me with a face of an angel. She had very long blond hair and the greenest eyes I’d ever seen. Her cheekbones were high and her lips were painted a dark ruby red. On her slender wrists were gold bangles and a silver belt decorated the black long maxi dress she wore. She stared at me head to toe and then her gaze shifted to Mrs. Potter, who had stopped scraping the potatoes.
     “Who is she?” the woman asked.
     “Why don’t you ask me? I’m standing right here,” I replied.
     Ignoring me, she asked, “I asked you a question.”
     I turned to Mrs. Potter, whose cheeks were red. “Leave us.”
     “Yes, milady.”
     The blonde’s jaw hit the floor. She turned and gave me a once over again. Then she crossed her arms and shook her head. “Milady? Since when does the help call a woman like you milady?”
     I smiled. “Since I married Garrison.”
     “You’re kidding me, right?”
     “I’m afraid I’m not.”
     She swallowed and let her arms fall down. “I don’t believe you.”
     “Look, you can believe what you want to. I’m his wife and right now you’re bothering my staff and that’s very rude. If you can’t be polite, I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to leave.”
     She laughed. “You think I’m scared of you? I have been here a thousand times and I have stayed overnight here more times than I can count. Garrison will never believe you over me.”
     “Try me,” Garrison said from the doorway.
     We both turned to find Garrison walking in from a run in his sweats. The man looked good enough to eat with his wet hair and the shirt stuck on his skin. His eyes caught mine and the passion from last night struck a memory. I felt the flutter. He reached me and reached out to put his hand around my waist. I could smell his spicy masculine scent and it tickled me in forbidden places.
     “What are you doing here, Tasha?” Garrison asked.
     Tasha as Garrison called her, perked up and smiled sweetly. Oh boy, what an actress. “I missed you. I’ve only been gone a few weeks.”
     “Weeks? I broke it off with you six months ago.”
     I cringed and watched as redness crept across her face. I couldn’t stand to watch this. “I’ll be upstairs.”
     He turned to face me. “You’re not going anywhere, sweetheart. The one doing the leaving is Tasha. You are the queen of this home.”

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Majurat See Nam Pueng