A Woman Worth Marrying Chapter 3


The sun was setting as Annabella looked up from the saddle and toward the land where a few homes were built. The pinkish gray of the sky made the land look more welcoming than she expected. This here was the Devil’s Own and she was going to be here for a while. There was smoke coming from a house and she figured that to be the home of the woman Jedidiah called Mia. Her legs were sore and she was hungry. After the shock of finding out Ty wasn’t the man he was, she closed up her thoughts and fell silent. Even when Jedidiah accidentally brushed his fingers on the inside of her thigh when helping her up the saddle, she remained mute. For the life of her, she couldn’t figure out why she’d had such bad luck. Why did Ty do what he did? How could he betray her trust? Tears filled her eyes and she let them stream down her face. Behind her sat Jedidiah who had his arms around her waist. He’d been quiet since they began riding home, but she knew that although he remained silent, he knew her every single thought. She’d never met a man more unpredictable than Jedidiah. He stirred things inside her that brought out horrid thoughts to her mind. He was a stranger, yes, but a stranger she seemed to know all too well.

Her thoughts cleared when they reached the clearing and Jedidiah got off the saddle. He helped her off and the moment her feet touched the ground, a plump woman wearing a brown dress came outside with a white towel in her hands, laughing. Following her was a man dressed in priest clothes and was smiling at the woman. The woman was a beautiful woman in her middle ages with a head of brown curls and eyes so blue, Annabella swore she saw the ocean. She was so merry that it made her itch to want to laugh with her. The man was older and had graying brown hair with gentle brown eyes. When he looked up and saw the rangers, his smile widened and he walked to them.

“If it isn’t the rangers. How are you?” he asked as he hugged each one of them.

She heard “Good as ever,” “Just fine,” “Getting into trouble as always,” and the final one from Jedidiah, “Mia keeps me under wraps.” But when his eyes turned toward her, the smile from his face disappeared. She realized she looked a mess and the men weren’t able to offer her a clean dress. She still wore Jedidiah’s shirt. She blushed and Mia came forward with a frown on her face.

“And who is this?” she asked.

Jedidiah walked to her and took her elbow, pushing her forward. “This is Annabella. She’s without a home for the moment and would need shelter.”

“Why is she a mess? Did you fellows do something to her?”

From the tone of her voice, Annabella knew that Mia meant serious business. She shook her head. “No, ma’am. The men saved me from disaster. I owe them my life and thanks.”

The priest stepped forward and took her hands. “My dear, I am Father John Carter. These four boys are men because of the lovely Miss Tarrows and myself. You’re in good hands, but why are you traveling alone without a companion or guardianship?”

Tears filled her eyes and she tried hard to steady her shaking voice. “I...was betrayed, father. The man I was supposed to marry betrayed me. I am without a home or a guardian.”

He turned to look at Mia and at the men. “As a man of God, I cannot allow her to be here in a place of men. As much as I love you, Mia, the girl needs to be taken to my church where she can be cleaned and protected by God. I will be her guardian.”

Before Mia could answer, Jedidiah stepped in, “I can’t allow that, father.”

Both Mia and Annabella looked at him in surprise. He came out from behind Bruce and his gaze met Annabella’s for a split second before he turned his gaze to Father John, who was waiting patiently for an explanation.

“Why not?” Father John asked.

“There are men after this woman, father. They won’t stop until she’s either captured or worst, dead.” Annabella shuddered and she saw that Mia noticed. She swallowed down her fear as Father John glared at her with questions in his eyes. He turned to look at Mia, who was wringing the towel in her hands.

“She will be protected,” Father John said.

Bruce stepped forward. “I’m afraid that won’t do, father. These men will kill anyone who stands in her way and we don’t want to see you get hurt. It is best as Jedidiah has said. She should stay here.”

“I can’t allow that, boys. If she stays here, one of you must marry her.”

 Annabella gasped and looked up at the priest. “Father, I’ll go with you.”

 Jedidiah grabbed her arm and shook her gently. “Are you putting Father John’s life in danger? Because if you are, I wonder why I didn’t just shoot you myself.”

“Jedidiah!” Mia cried. “That is no way to talk to a woman.”

“She’s not a woman, she’s a witch.”

Annabella swallowed and saw hate burn in his eyes. He was right. How could she put the good priest’s life in danger when she knew that James would be after her? She sighed loudly and slowly turned her gaze to the priest who was standing there with confusion. She turned to find Mia staring at her with an unsteady gaze.

“Father, I’m sorry. Jedidiah is right. If I were to go with you, it would only put you in danger. It is better if I were to stay here.”

“But you’re a woman of pureness and if I were to let you stay here unmarried and in the company of men, I would be going against my beliefs.”

“So which one of you is willing to marry her?” Mia asked.

Bruce, Sam, and Hunter cleared their throats and walked off into the house. It left Jedidiah standing there dumbfounded. He watched as the three stared at him and he ran a hand through his hair.

“Father, you know I am not the marrying type.”

“But you’re the one who is insisting she stay here with you.”

“Yes, but I promise I won’t touch her.”

Mia laughed. “That is a lie if I ever heard one.”

Jedidiah glared at her and Father John stepped forward. “My son, do you remember when I found you? You were lost and I guided you back onto the right path. You once asked me how you would repay me. I told you that when the moment you were tested to go against all you believed and you overcame it, I would consider the debt paid. This is that moment.”

Jedidiah opened his mouth and stared at Mia, hoping she’d offer help. But she only smiled and Annabella was looking at her toes. “Father, you can’t possibly use that against me.”

“I’m not using it against you. I’m offering you a chance to clear all of your debts.”

 

“Shouldn’t you be with your bride?” Bruce asked as he tossed the saddle over the table.

The four of them were in the stable cleaning the horses after a long trip. Bruce was smiling as he worked and Hunter and Sam were snickering to themselves. Jedidiah stood there between the horses and them and wanted to ram his fist into their smiling jaws. Father John had left an hour ago after he sealed them with the sacred vows of husband and wife. Annabella had retreated into the house with Mia and he followed the three into the stable.

“Shut up. I didn’t see any of you volunteering to help out,” he said.

“We weren’t the one who was cozy next to her all night long,” Sam said laughing.

“You seemed as if you were doing a good job anyways,” Hunter added.

“I didn’t want to get married.”

“And I am sure she hates you just as much,” Bruce said as he came to pat Jedidiah’s shoulder.

“I saw her eyes when Father John announced you as man and wife. She looked ready to kill you. If I were you, I’d sleep with a knife under my pillow.”

“Actually don’t,” Sam said. “She might use that to take away your manhood.”

“Shut up!” Jedidiah cried, annoyed. “You guys don’t know anything. I’m going back in there.” “Have a good wedding night,” the three echoed after him.

Jedidiah kicked dirt and stone along as he walked inside the house. It welcomed him with a warm taste of bread and stew as he found Mia in the kitchen setting up dinner plates. He swallowed and stood there waiting to be yelled at. But she just went on as if he wasn’t there. He sighed deeply and strolled toward his bedroom when she stopped him with her voice.

“That girl is bent out of shape.”

Jedidiah backtracked into the room and stuffed his hands in his pockets. “She’s been through hell.”

“She looks it,” Mia said nodding her head. “What happened to her?”

“A group of men had her and if I hadn’t stepped in, God knows what would have happened. But the man she was supposed to marry had led her into a trap with James Boone.”

Mia’s face paled. “That leech?”

“Yes. He was going to sell her off and you know for what. That’s why I couldn’t allow her to go with Father John. If she did, she would put Father John and his entire church in danger. They would follow her there.”

“Oh Lord. No wonder she’s as thin as bone. I am sure that once you fatten her up a bit, she’ll be as beautiful as ever. Speaking of which, your wife is taking a bath in your room.”

 

It felt so good soaking in warm water. It felt good to wash all that grit and dirt from her hair. The sweet lavender smelling soap rose to her nose and she inhaled deeply feeling as if she was a princess. But when she opened her eyes and saw where she was, the princess part died from her lips. The room she was in was all male and she knew whose room it was. It was her husband’s room. Husband. What a strange word to say. In one blink of an eye, she’d gone from being single to married. She reached for the soap and lathered it up before applying it to her hair. She began to massage and sighed deeply. But when a pair of hands touched her scalp, she jumped and turned around. Water splashed over the side and she found Jedidiah staring at her with his big eyes. She saw that his eyes lowered from her face to her chest and she gasped as she wrapped her arms around herself. She turned her back on him.

“What are you doing in here?” she asked.

“I came in to ask if my wife needed anything.”

“Don’t call me that.”

He knelt down before her. “Then what am I supposed to call you? Because according to Father John, you and I are husband and wife.”

“That wasn’t a real marriage.”

He laughed. “Honey, that was as real as weddings go. Now, why don’t you lean back and I’ll help you wash that hair of yours.”

She was appalled. “No, you won’t! You’ll go out the same way you came before I scream.”

“You might not want to do that, sweetheart. They might think I’m giving you so much pleasure.”

She gasped at his words and turned to face him. “Leave.”

“Look, I’m only here to help, ok? There’s no way you’re going to get that hair of yours clean without help. Relax. I won’t be bedding you any time soon.”

“I don’t need help.”

He started unbuttoning his shirt and she opened her eyes wide. When he saw her look, he laughed. “I can’t wash your hair without getting my shirt wet. I’m out of clean shirts.”

“I prefer it if you kept your shirt on,” she said.

But he acted as if he didn’t hear a word she said. He simply pulled a chair, sat down, and poured shampoo into the palm of his hand. He sat there waiting for her to lean back. She inhaled deeply and turned around until her back was against the basin. When his hands touched her hair, however, she forgot everything. He massaged her scalp, washing and massaging away everything. She closed her eyes and sighed deeply. It felt so good. When his hands lowered to her neck, she leaned forward to give him more room to maneuver. But when his hands lowered themselves onto her shoulders, she suddenly opened her eyes and turned around to look at him.

“That’s enough,” she warned. “I’ll take care of it from here. Thank you.”

            He laughed. “You’re wound up tighter than ropes.”

“Please, stop,” she said with a hint of sadness to her voice.

His hands stopped and he turned her around to face him. He looked her square in the eyes and took a deep breath. “Annabella, do you understand that I won't hurt you?”

She didn't answer.

“You're my wife now. I've taken a vow to love you and protect you. I won't let anything happen to you. You can believe in that much.”

Annabella looked away from him. “I don't know what to believe. The last man who said that to me turned out to be a lie.”

He slipped her fingers underneath her chin and turned her to look at him. “That man is a damn fool and if I ever see him, I'll let him know it. But for now, you just concentrate on resting and getting better. You're my wife and I want my wife to be satisfied with me.”

Her face paled and she jerked away from him. “Don't you even think about doing anything to me!”

He laughed and leaned back into the chair. “Don't worry, sweetheart. I'm not going to try anything. When I do it's because you've asked me to.”

The blush rose from her neck to her cheeks and he laughed again. He gave her a small pat on the shoulder, got up, and left. She quickly washed her hair and got out, afraid he would come back and catch her naked. When she dressed in a blue gown, the door opened and he walked in. But when he caught her gaze, he stopped and his eyes spoke volumes of what he wanted to do. She felt her heart thundering beneath her rib cage. The look on his face was nothing but pure lust and it burned her soul. She felt her throat go dry and it felt heard to breathe. She forced her mouth to work, but it refused her directions to speak, and instead gave a soft, clearly audible moan. She turned away from him, embarrassed as he walked into the room. She felt him make his way to her and then his hands came to rest around her waist. She could smell his scent and it made her senses come alive.

“You look beautiful,” he whispered into her ear.

It wasn't what he said; it was the way he said it. It made her bones tingle and she never thought she'd ever live to feel her bones tingle the way it did tonight. She could feel her heart racing and when he brought his lips to her cheek and kissed softly, she lost all control. She turned around and threw her arms around him as he lifted her up into his arms. Their kiss was explosive and passionate that she was surprised the roof didn't burn down. He was hungry for her and it proved it in his kiss. When his hands went up to her neck and held it there, she caught herself moaning loudly. The moan jerked her awake from the passion and she tore herself from him. He was staring at her with wide open eyes and panting hard. She looked away and covered her face with her hands.

“Oh lord, I'm so sorry,” she said. “I shouldn't have done that.”

He pried her hands free and grabbed her shoulders. “You did nothing but show me that you wanted me.”

She pulled free from his hold. “Exactly and you don't want me.”

He laughed and brought her hand to his chest. “Darling, if only you could see how much I want you, you'd be so surprised.”

She pulled her hand free and straightened her posture. “I lost my head there for a minute, Jedidiah. But you can count on this not happening again. I was...silly to think that I could ever desire such a man as you. You only married me because you want to protect me. You don't love me so we cannot consummate this marriage. It will be a lie in the eyes of God.”

He walked to her and licked his lips slowly. “Honey, we've tied the knot. In God's eyes, you are mine forever.”

She didn't answer him as she twisted her hands together. He stared at her for what seemed like a lifetime before offering her his hand. She waited and then took it. He led her down the stairs where a table of food was decorating it. She felt her stomach rumble and she saw Mia and the other three men were already seated at the table. She blushed as she took the seat Jedidiah offered her. She sat down and watched as Mia stared at her.

“You clean up pretty nice, girl,” Mia said.

She didn't answer and lowered her gaze. She heard snickering around the table, but remained silent. After Bruce said grace, everyone started eating. She watched as the bowls of meatloaf, potatoes, beans, and bread were passed around. She made no attempt to reach for any of them and while everyone ate, she just stared. Annabella couldn't withhold the tears forming in her eyes. This reminded her too much of the home she'd lost. Before she realized it, she was quietly sobbing. It was then that she caught the silence in the room. No one was eating; they were all staring at her with inquisitive eyes. She lowered her gaze, embarrassed that she was caught. She stood up, left, and ran outside where she looked up at the sky before her. The night was cloaked in a black drape and the stars sparkled like little holes that were cut out in perfect shape. The wind had died down and the air was balmy, thick with an essence of loss. She heard the door open and shut behind her. When she turned around, Jedidiah was walking toward her. She turned her back to him and wrapped her arms around herself.

“You know, Mia has a rule that no one cries at dinner time,” Jedidiah said.

“I'm sorry,” she whispered.

“I'm going to get a heavy load from her unless you tell me what's wrong.”

She felt the anger burn inside her and she swung around. “You? Why do I have to care about you right now? I'm the one who is in a rut here. I was left to die from a  man who had promised to love me. But here, I am, in a strange land with a man who is a stranger, but who has the title of my husband. How do I go about living when I feel as if every single part of me has died? You're worried about getting into trouble unless I explain myself. I'm worried about how I am to continue living when all I know is gone.”

“That's not why you were crying.”

Annabella sighed deeply and she felt the tears burn again. How did this man know her so well? She looked away and felt her chin tremble. The sobs were ready to pour out and if he hadn't crossed to her when he did, it probably would have woken the wolves. But he came to her and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. The warmth of his body shielded her and she felt as if this small pause of hurt would be the guide to help her win back her sanity. She heard his heart beat and felt his breath on her ear. For long moments, he said nothing; he just held her. It was if he knew that she was in pain and he was there, offering a shoulder to help ease her of it. When she finally pushed him away, she looked up to find him watching her with his eyes; no pity was found.

“I'm sorry,” Annabella whispered.

He tucked his finger underneath her chin. “Don't ever apologize for something you didn't do. I know why you were crying.”

“You do?”

“You must have had a good home.”

Tears filled her eyes again. “I did. I never knew anything, but love. My parents treated me with respect and love. They showed me how grateful they were to have me in their life. When they died, my aunt took their place and although she wasn't my mother or father, she was able to fill that void. I've never known violence, lies, or hurt. Sitting down at the table tonight, watching all of you eat with peace and happiness, it reminded me that I have no one.”

He shook his head and wiped a tear from her cheek. “You're wrong, dove. You have me. I'm your husband. Have you forgotten?”

She gulped. “Husband in name only. You barely know me. You're only trying to protect me. You don't love me.”

Jedidiah laughed and ran a finger along her jaw line. “Darling, if I didn't care enough for you, I'd have let Father John take you away from here. I'd have let those savages ravage you. But the man in me sees something in you that I have never seen before.”

“And what is that?”

He leaned down until they were eye to eye. “Hope.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab