Protect and Serve, a memoir of Leng Vang




Life is made up of many chapters. When we are born, we are faced with a happiness that fills our heart and soul. We begin to create memories through our childhood years of learning to ride a bike, fighting with our siblings, and getting hearts broken by the opposite gender. We grow up wondering when life will truly begin. What we sometimes forget is that life is already happening as we're living each day. Life allows us to meet some of the most incredible people through marriage of two people, birth, or a miracle. For me, it was through marriage. I had the chance to become a member of the Vang family and met an incredible brother in law, Leng. Sure, the years I had known him was little compared to his own family, but even then, his touch of happiness and laughter had the same effect. He always made me feel as if I was one of the family.

Each time I came to visit Leng and his family, he always came to hug me and say, "Niam Tij, I'm happy to see you." His embrace said to me he loved me like I was a true sister and that he had no segregation. My husband spent a lot of time with him when he was in school in Milwaukee and together they shared a bond through food, laughter, and love. And when my husband spoke of Leng, his eyes would always light up with fondness and love. Leng always had a special place in my husband's heart.

The last time we saw him alive, he tried to talk to us even though it must have hurt. I could only image what he was going through. We sat and spoke to him about memories we had shared together and he said two words to my husband. "You're good." It left me in tears because here was a man who was facing the road of unknown, but yet, he could still manage to say comforting words to help us heal in our moments of weaknesses. That's why I say he is the best of us.

His dream was to protect and to serve and even though today he's not with us, I can still feel his presence. This past weekend at his funeral, when the slideshow was played and the song "Eye of the Tiger," came on, I felt a warm feeling wash over me and I knew he was there. This photo that I took of the burial is proof that he is here among all of us and that he's not gone anywhere. Yes, he may be in a form we can't see, but he's there in some way to help protect us and keep us from harm. He's the most incredibly warm, funny, and genuine person that I've had the honor of meeting and calling family. I like to think of him in a place where he is watching us with a ready hand to protect until the day we can be reunited. I'm sure I'll get to see that familiar smile once more.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab