Tan Lines Chapter 3


Mailee stirred and stretched as her stomach rumbled. She groaned and got up as her eyes caught Neng standing before her. He unlocked the doors and she walked to him as he gestured for her to step out. She did without looking at him and he slammed the doors after her. She turned around and he started walking toward a desk and she followed. The station was quiet today and she wondered why no one was at work. And then she remembered where she was; Walnut Grove, not Chicago.

“Are you the only one on duty?” she asked.

“I'm not even on duty today.”

She frowned. “But...,”

Neng smiled as he sat down and pointed to the chair. “You were here. I couldn't just leave you, could I?”

She sat down and rubbed her wrists. “I guess not.”

He noticed her and reached across the desk. He grabbed her wrist and stared at the welts. Then he looked up at her. “Why didn't you tell me you were hurt?”

She pulled her hand back. “It's not your business. Besides, you were happy with force last night.”

“I did not use force. You fell on your back and I'm sure my memory is better than yours.”

She gulped. Ignoring his gaze, she changed the subject. “Can I leave now?”

“Yes, but I need you to sign some papers.”

Mailee watched as he pushed a sheet toward her. It was a release form and she shot her eyes up at him. “You're saying this will go my record?”

“No, but it's part of procedure. You were in here and I need to sign you out. Rules are rules, Mailee.”

She muttered a soft curse, grabbed a pen, and scrawled her name on it. Then she pushed it back to him and stood up. She held out her hands. “Can I get the keys to my car?”

“Your car is still at the bar. I'll drive you there and you can drive it home. The keys are with the bar tender.”

She gasped. “You mean I have to face the unkind woman with the red curls again?”

He cocked his head. “Being a curly hair woman yourslef, I'm surprised at your tone of voice, Mailee.”

She blushed and rolled her eyes. “I'm having a bad day as you can see. I don't need anyone hounding on me.”

“She won't be hounding you. Beth is one of the kindest woman I know. Besides, you weren't very nice to her when you pulled that line on her and then bolted for the door.”

“I don't remember that.”

“I doubt you do.”

When they arrived at the bar, Mailee saw her Honda parked in the same spot she remembered parking. As soon as Neng's car stopped, she opened the car door and headed toward the bar door, not caring if he was following or leaving. When she entered, it was empty and she found the woman behind the bar wiping the glasses. The look she shot Mailee was less than friendly and she winced. Ok, so maybe she deserved it. She had been a pain in the ass. She strolled over and took a deep breath. Today,the woman was wearing a black shirt that was more her size, less makeup, and her hair was up in a bun.

“Hi,” Mailee said.

She shot Mailee a glare that would have sent her running if only she didn't need her car. “You're early. The bar doesn't open until later. I'd suggest you go to a liquor store,but then they're not open either.”

“I'm not here to drink.”

She raised her brows. “Oh really? What are you here for? To dance?”

Ok, she didn't deserve that one. “I'm sorry for how I behaved last night. But I was going through some things, ok? Just give me some breathing room.”

That seemed to work. She put down her glasses and reached behind the counter where she dropped Mailee's keys on the counter. “I know you're here to pick those up. The sheriff was kind enough to give me a heads up.”

Mailee bit her lower lip. Of course he did. She took them. “Thank you and again, I apologize.”

The woman nodded and Mailee walked out to find Neng leaning against his car with his arms crossed, waiting for her. She swallowed and strolled to him. He looked good, too good, and she had to give herself a kick in the behind to remind herself that he wasn't her type...at least not anymore. When she reached him, he unfolded his arms and straightened.

“Well?” he asked.

She showed him her keys. “I got them. Thanks for not letting me drive home. I'll get out of your hair.”

“You must be starving,” he said.

That was unexpected. She opened her mouth to argue when she realized he was right. She hadn't anything to eat since last night and seeing as how high the sun was in the sky, she was sure it was getting close to afternoon. He smiled as if he had read her mind and walked to open the passenger side door.

“Get in. We'll go get something to eat,” he said.

She cleared her throat. “I'll go in my car. This way you won't have to take me back here.”


“I don't mind.”

“I do.”



The restaurant was slow for having it be lunch time. Mailee and Neng sat in a corner booth with their coffee and plate of sandwiches. Not realizing how hungry she was, she'd devoured almost her entire sandwich and drank half of her soda. When she looked up, Neng was staring at her with his dark eyes and she suddenly felt shy. Why would she feel shy around him? She'd been around him most of her life. Yeah, but that was before you let him kiss you and take your virginity in the factory. Damn it! She bit her tongue and groaned as his face relaxed and concern filled his eyes.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

She nodded. “I bit my tongue. I'm fine.”

He took a drink of his soda and cleared his throat. “Where are you staying?”
“I'm going to renovate my grandmother's house.”

He raised his brows. “I thought you hated that house.”

She rolled her eyes. “I was young. But now, I think I'll fit in just fine.”

He leaned back in his chair, pushing his plate of food aside, satisifed. “It's such a big house. You won't be lonely in there?”

“No, of course not.”

He eyed her for a moment. “What happened in Chicago?”

Mailee knew he was going to ask her that. How was she supposed to tell him that her grandmother was right? That Randall was a son of a bitch who only wanted her when she was good and not when she wasn't? How could she tell him that she failed her life in Chicago and ran back home when it fell apart? She swallowed hard and then suddenly tears filled her eyes. Which was worse? The fact that her life in Chicago fell apart or that Randall had found someone else? She shook her head from the memory, got up, and left. She heard him call out her name as she ran out the entrance. She made it to her car before she was whipped around and she was staring at him.

“Don't run, Mailee,” he said.

She pulled her arms free from him. “I have to run. It's the only escape I know.”

Neng walked forward. “What did he do to you?”

That did it and she burst out crying. Just like that, the hate, the hurt, and the pain leaked out and she felt herself being pulled into Neng's arms as he caressed her back. The comfort made her heart swell up and for the first time in a long time, she felt as if someone did care. Even if that someone was Neng and a part of her was still mad at him. When she pulled away, he looked at her and smiled gently.

“Better?” he asked.

She nodded. “Much.”

He swallowed and brought a thumb to wipe her tears. “Did he hurt you? If he did, I'll track him down and kick his ass.”

She laughed at his words and he smiled. When she looked back at him, all laughter aside, she felt the pain again. “He hurt me, Neng. He hurt me a lot.”

“Physically?”

She realized his voice was harsh as he spoke that word. She shook her head. “No, he's never hit me. But he's hit my heart with his lying, cheating ways.”

Neng shut his eyes and pulled her into his arms again. “Shirley Temple, I'm sorry.”

She pulled herself free from him and turned away from him. “Don't pity me.”

Neng walked to her and turned her around. He shook his head and gently tilted her chin up to look at him. “I would never dare pity you, Shirley Temple.”

Mailee looked away and when she looked back at him, the past came fast and hard. She remembered why she'd fallen so hard, so deep in love with Neng. He'd been a bad boy, yes, but he had a part of himself that cared about those he kept close to his heart. And as much as she hated to admit it, he did always keep her close to him. It wasn't until after they shared that one night together that he started to avoid her. She'd been in love with this man all her life and she still was. He didn't take shit from anyone and he made sure those who did hurt those he loved, he made them pay dearly. Suddenly, she felt the tears prickle her eyes again and she turned away from him.

“Leave me alone,” Mailee said.

He walked around to face her. “What's eating you?”

“You are, Neng Yang! You're a kiss and leave type of guy. You don't stick around.”

He pointed to himself and a smile curved his lips. “Are you calling me that?”

“Yes, I am. That summer, before I turned 18, you made love to me and then the morning after, you treated me like I was just another girl you could have in your sack. You disappointed me.”

He held up his hands. “Wait, are you saying I disappointed you in bed or in life? Because as a man, I've gotta keep the record straight.”

Anger blared through her and she swung at him. He caught her wrist and pulled her toward him. She was ready to kill him, so ready. “Damn you! I could care less about how satisifying you were in the sack because back then, you couldn't satisify me for shit!”

She said it to hurt him and she knew it was a lie. But the look in his eyes told her she'd hit jackpot. The grip on her wrist tightened and she watched as his breath rised and fell with heaviness. It was too late; she couldn't take it back. She couldn't apologize either because her pride wouldn't let her.

He jerked her arm and began pulling her toward his car, clearly marked with the word, “Sheriff” on the side. When she tried to restrain herself, he swung around and stared at her with a deathly glare of dark eyes. She stopped dead in her tracks as he watched her.

“Where are you taking me?” Mailee asked.

A slow smile appeared on his lips. “I'm taking you home where I'm going to prove that you were wrong.”

Her heart clinched in her chest and she gasped. “You do that and I'll kill you.”

“I'd love to see you try. I'm going to make you scream so hard. You see, Shirley Temple, I'm not that boy anymore. This man today, has made many women scream in their throes of passion.”

Mailee jerked her hand, but his hold tightened. “No way am I getting into your car so that you can have your way with me again. I did it once and I regret it to this day.”

“Fine, then we can take of business right here.”

She gasped. “Are you mad? You're the sheriff and I'm not going to let you boink me here for everyone to see!”

“A man has to protect his image, Mailee.”

There he went with her name. She watched as his grip didn't loosen and when she tried to turn from him, he hoisted her up over his shoulder, and walked toward his car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

50 Shades Darker

Kuab Muaj Tsuas 2 Review

Txoj Kev Mus Ua Nyab